Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

why do you and your mom look different??

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM
  • 12 Replies
This is what a child asked my son today when i picked him up from daycare. I look like your standard white woman. Blond, light skin, freckles, green eyes.. My son is half black, dark skin,.brown hair, although he has hazel eyes.

I wasn't sure what to say. I didn't know what his parents had taught him yet, what he may know about race, what his parents may have told him about this type of thing.

So, my simple response, the best i could come up with was... "its ok to be different."

:-\

I'm not sure what else i could have said. It was an honest question.. What would you have said? The child had to have been maybe six or seven.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1plustwinsmommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:10 PM
I'm sure he just meant it as an honest question. But, it's a reminder we all need to have those conversations with our kiddos.
MissMysteriouss
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Just say he looks like his dad. No reason to make a big deal out of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:12 PM

say he looks like his dad - that's true, right.

brittany208
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I would have just answered him simply: Well, I have very light skin and his dad has very dark skin, so his skin is in between. I think kids ask these kinds of things because they honestly dont know. and its only the adults who make it weird and offensive

mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I don't know why i didn't think of that! Maybe because he's been going to daycare here for two+ years and this has never been brought up.. Took me by surprise after a long day of work. Lol

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM
He looks exactly like his Dad! First thing the dr said when he was born was that there was no way he could ever deny him. Haha

Quoting Tesserae:

say he looks like his dad - that's true, right.

stephiebugg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:17 PM

I would've said something about how some people look like their mom, some people look like their dad. He looks like his daddy. I don't really know. It's hard to know what to say to other people's kids.

mcclainprincess
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:19 PM
That was my main concern. I see how moms here are all protective about what ppl say around their kids. Makes me a little leery to bring certain subjects up.

Quoting stephiebugg:

I would've said something about how some people look like their mom, some people look like their dad. He looks like his daddy. I don't really know. It's hard to know what to say to other people's kids.

stephiebugg
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM

I think by saying he looks like dad is probably a simple statement that can't be misinterpreted or offensive to most moms.  

Quoting mcclainprincess:

That was my main concern. I see how moms here are all protective about what ppl say around their kids. Makes me a little leery to bring certain subjects up.

Quoting stephiebugg:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM
This.

Quoting MissMysteriouss:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN