Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (251-260):
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:11 PM
No I had never heard of that person before today. I am uneducated. History bores me to tears. I litterally threw out forties because I didnt know which era it actually was. This post has become something far more than I intended.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn history.  In the 40's there was WWII.  Most of the men were off fighting in the war and the women were here building war ships and planes.  Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter?

Quote:

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I actually didnt know this but do now. But most people still call it Traditional or Old Fashioned. At least as far as anyone I know. Most people recognize what I mean when I use those words.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, women weren't "housewives until the 1950's and beyond.  It's a very new concept.  Look back 100 years ago when farmwives did just as much, if not more than their husbands.  They worked in the fields, cared for animals, slaughtered dinner, cooked the meals, and cared for the children.  

The concept of a SAHM who only took care of the house and children is a modern concept.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Maybe this is an opportunity for you to educate those you know about the traditional role of a woman.  Woman were always working outside the home and children.  I hate to mention it because I don't want to start a holy war, but the increase in women who do not work outside the home has risen on a correlated slope to the amount of welfare money spent.

ADC (Aid to Dependent Children) started during the great depression.  Women did not get this, only children.  Years later it changed to AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) and at that point women started applying and the amount spent on this welfare would increase dramatically each year.  In 2010 PA cost US citizens $900 BILLION!   It's not surprising how the cost of welfare benefits in the US has increased along with the number of women who don't work, yet receive benefits.

Quoting CV3:

I actually didnt know this but do now. But most people still call it Traditional or Old Fashioned. At least as far as anyone I know. Most people recognize what I mean when I use those words.
Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, women weren't "housewives until the 1950's and beyond.  It's a very new concept.  Look back 100 years ago when farm wives did just as much, if not more than their husbands.  They worked in the fields, cared for animals, slaughtered dinner, cooked the meals, and cared for the children.  

The concept of a SAHM who only took care of the house and children is a modern concept.

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
First off, most of those things you said about me, aren't true. So thanks for assuming things about me. Just because I think that women should be SAHMs or homemakers doesn't mean I look at them as an animal or property of their husband. Being a SAHM/homemaker is a job as well. Last time I checked cleaning up after yourself and your child doesn't make you a slave. I also don't think women should be sex slaves to their husbands or anyone else. I believe men and women are equal, they just have different roles in the family. I also have no problem with a woman being educated. If a woman is single, sure get a job and support yourself. I just think that mothers should be at home taking care of their children.

Quoting Anonymous:

LMAO you dont want women EMPLOYED outside the house.. Your fucking crazy! You dont value women rights, choice and freedom of speech. I hate to be your friend! I hate people like you that think women are supposed to get married after 18, stay a virgin, wear white at the wedding. Give birth as many times the husband say, fuck any time he wants. yes FUCK, Fuck is the same as sex. and do whatever he says and bring GOD into a marriage PSH SMH. Im not a Animal, i dont go having babies 24/7 just because i have two tits and a vagina/uterus.
So basically Women are here on this earth to serve men, not go to college and get a education. Because you know if they go to college/university they have to get a degree and that means they can get a job outside the house which entials leaving and driving. Making money? I guess you think thats absurd lol.. your nuts lmao.. weird weird... Actually my husband would prefer me working, driving and taking kids to places. I dont... i rather stay home while he makes money but at the same time he has to cook, clean, do laundry, make the bed. put his clothes on the hanger and hamper. etc etc... because as human beings we all should pitch in. Especially mean. I dont like lazy ass men who dont do a damn thing but work.

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We are pretty traditional i guess. I was working, then we decided it would be best and more accomodating for our children, if I was home. I do all house work, laundry, cook (though DH does cook one night a week), DH's only house hold chore is the garbage and changing the light bulbs lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM

You love to contridict your self. get a education and quit getting on CM. You just told me "MOTHERS SHOULD be at home taking care of their children" yea you kinda did say what i wrote.  basically women should stay home and take care of the kids while the husband works. SHOULD as in obligated too because you say so from religious beliefs. because anyone who thinks a womens place is at home and not outside the house is anyone who is Christian. I am a Wiccan and before that i was a none practicing catholic. I still view it the same way. Men and women can work outside the house or in the house making money IF they want. I have that choice, i dont work outside the house because i have Anxiety and doing anything with costumers in a fast paced environment. but thats me.

Quoting hellomilla:

First off, most of those things you said about me, aren't true. So thanks for assuming things about me. Just because I think that women should be SAHMs or homemakers doesn't mean I look at them as an animal or property of their husband. Being a SAHM/homemaker is a job as well. Last time I checked cleaning up after yourself and your child doesn't make you a slave. I also don't think women should be sex slaves to their husbands or anyone else. I believe men and women are equal, they just have different roles in the family. I also have no problem with a woman being educated. If a woman is single, sure get a job and support yourself. I just think that mothers should be at home taking care of their children.

Quoting Anonymous:

LMAO you dont want women EMPLOYED outside the house.. Your fucking crazy! You dont value women rights, choice and freedom of speech. I hate to be your friend! I hate people like you that think women are supposed to get married after 18, stay a virgin, wear white at the wedding. Give birth as many times the husband say, fuck any time he wants. yes FUCK, Fuck is the same as sex. and do whatever he says and bring GOD into a marriage PSH SMH. Im not a Animal, i dont go having babies 24/7 just because i have two tits and a vagina/uterus.
So basically Women are here on this earth to serve men, not go to college and get a education. Because you know if they go to college/university they have to get a degree and that means they can get a job outside the house which entials leaving and driving. Making money? I guess you think thats absurd lol.. your nuts lmao.. weird weird... Actually my husband would prefer me working, driving and taking kids to places. I dont... i rather stay home while he makes money but at the same time he has to cook, clean, do laundry, make the bed. put his clothes on the hanger and hamper. etc etc... because as human beings we all should pitch in. Especially mean. I dont like lazy ass men who dont do a damn thing but work.

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:40 PM
How did I contradict myself? I'm not seeing that at all. I do think women should be at home with their children. When did I say otherwise? Also how does my religion have anything to do with that belief? So just because I believe women should stay at home means that I'm a Christian? Wow, and you say I need to educate myself.

Quoting Anonymous:

You love to contridict your self. get a education and quit getting on CM. You just told me "MOTHERS SHOULD be at home taking care of their children" yea you kinda did say what i wrote.  basically women should stay home and take care of the kids while the husband works. SHOULD as in obligated too because you say so from religious beliefs. because anyone who thinks a womens place is at home and not outside the house is anyone who is Christian. I am a Wiccan and before that i was a none practicing catholic. I still view it the same way. Men and women can work outside the house or in the house making money IF they want. I have that choice, i dont work outside the house because i have Anxiety and doing anything with costumers in a fast paced environment. but thats me.

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Are you slow? YOU SAID SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD. SHOULD FUCKING MEANS HAVE TOO. god damn your dumb

Quoting hellomilla:

How did I contradict myself? I'm not seeing that at all. I do think women should be at home with their children. When did I say otherwise? Also how does my religion have anything to do with that belief? So just because I believe women should stay at home means that I'm a Christian? Wow, and you say I need to educate myself.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

CeceliaRosella
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I always thought that was the kind of marriage I wanted. Now that I'm stuck in one I hate it with a passion. It's degrading.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)