Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (201-210):
tennisgal
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Yes, we believe in them. They are of extreme importance. It is the only way I would feel comfortable being in a relationship and I wouldn't find myself in a "new age" relationship b/c I would never date someone like that. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 32 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I stay home and raise the kids because my husband is as dumb as a box of rocks and literally cannot do it.

However, just because he makes the money, doesn't mean he's in charge of it.  He's pretty dumb when it comes to that, too.

gabby416
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I was in a very traditional marriage, and I hated it.

Now I am in what I guess people would call a new age relationship, I prefer it. I happy working 60 hours a week right along with him, I am happier sharing the responsibilities of life.  Of course there is always a little of the man supports us, the women cares for us in our relationship, and we need to make each other happy, in different ways...that is only natural to me.  all in all though we are both satisfied with our lives right now and enjoy sharing most things 50/50.

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I don't think it was a good time for anyone except white, middle-class males. 

Quoting Deshonsmommy:

Not me, I'm black the 50's weren't a good time for us!!

Quoting unsuspected:

If I woke up tommorow in the 50's I'd be good.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Ditto :)

Quoting unsuspected:

If I woke up tommorow in the 50's I'd be good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly! I come from a long line of working women and am so grateful that they helped pave the way for us to have choices. Luckily, I chose a husband who prefers a working wife. 

Quoting leavinglasvegas:

In my family, it is not "traditional" for women not to have an income. My mother worked to help pay the bills, my grandmother worked on the farm and at the shipyard to help pay the bills and feed her family, my great-grandmother turned her home into a boarding house for women after her husband died young. The concept that women are SAHM as a traditional role is false. Historically, unless a woman was upper-middle class, she worked. Many women had garden and animals to tend to, other women did washing, mending, or cooking for other families or had homemade wares to sell. Some just watched other women's children and were compensated in money, services or goods.

To say that "feminism" has changed the face of a woman's role in the household is misguided and insulting. Women have always worked and generations have worked for an income long before the Womens Rights Movement. But, thanks to them standing up for me, I can get paid what I deserve at my job, I am protected by the same laws that men are, and I can tell my daughters that they can strive to be what they want to be in life and not be seen as property or "less than" because they are women.

I could quit my job and stay at home and raise my children - but I have the choice. My foremothers didn't have that choice because they didn't have the money. In my home, I cook and do laundry because I want to and it needs to be done. My husband washes the dishes, gets my girls breakfast and bathes them because he wants to and it needs to be done. Whatever gets the job done and puts food on the table.

garnet83
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I'm cool with women working or SAH. I think men should work though. And I think women should be lady like and men should be masculine.

GwenGray
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM

No, not really. 

No

Not that important

Fine, because that's how we are.

The only thing that is traditional is that, SO is the bread winner (for now) and that I am staying home with the kids. 

I'm a belly dancing and sword fighting mama of 2. I'm married to my high school sweet heart. I plan on enlisting to the army very soon, and having more kids :)

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:25 PM
I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN