Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (211-220):
the4mutts
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
As far as working gender roles, I prefer to stay home, and my s/o preferrs it too. I do business management from home part time, and in 2014 when all 4 of my kids are in school full time, I will be working full time, but making much less money than he does.
As far as housework, we are full partners. Anything I can do while he works, I do. Anything else, we work together when he gets home. We just do whatever works for us, and thats how it happens to work best.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM

lol  I was  not sure what else to call it.

Quoting autodidact:

new age? like using crystals and burning insense during sex? 

I'm a SAHM, but I'm not much of a fan of gender roles. I believe in nonsexist child rearing. 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Yes I am traditional. I was raised gypsy and held onto some of the traditions.
Ms.KitKat
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This is funny.  What exactly again is "old fashioned" and "traditional" ? I am the first generation of sahm in my family. My mother and grandmother and great grandmother, etc as far back as I can recall  they all had to work. I am the first woman in my family who was able to stay at home and raise my children.

Piskie
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM
Don't work for us in the slightest lol. 24/7 BDSM based relationship, I am the Dom and we are both very happy. We both work, we both take care of our daughter, and it works for us.
ChocolateJunky
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

I live traditionally. It works for us. Kudos to the working moms. I gave it a shot, but it was too overwhelming for me to balance work and home life. Things are easier for us this way. My oldest is not quite pre-school age, but I'm always teaching him and getting ready for school. I take a lot of pride in my "job".

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM
1 mom liked this

No.. because there is no such thing.. unless you go by Christian standards

No..

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Loving19mommy92
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Some of them not all of them.

CafeMom Tickers

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Yes, I understand that. It is from the uproar that it led to. Asking for the right to vote led to other "rights" they felt that we needed because they felt women weren't being seen as equals.

Quoting SuDoNim:

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)