Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (221-230):
SimplyErathy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:28 PM

we dont consider ourselves either. my husband is th ebread winner but i do freelance work here and there to help pay our sons medical bills, i do laundry and cooking but for everything else its not a "my job, his job" its a "this needs done do it" we raise our kids the same way, if sothing is out of place i dont care who puts it up, it just needs to be put up. if you see the trash is full take it out. ect. 

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM

How can women be equal if they don't have the same civil rights as men? The fact the women have had to fight for the right to be educated, vote, hold political office or have a career demonstrates that we were (are?) not viewed as equal, for no other reason than we don't have penises. 

Quoting hellomilla:

Yes, I understand that. It is from the uproar that it led to. Asking for the right to vote led to other "rights" they felt that we needed because they felt women weren't being seen as equals.

Quoting SuDoNim:

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Yeah, we're pretty traditional. IMHO, it's modern "feminism" what has demeaned our feminine role to further elevate the masculine one. But I live by a matriarchal society (we're observant Jews) where I'm valued precisely because of that role, not because of what I can do "as good as a man" can.
hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:04 PM
Just because we didnt have the same roles/place in society didnt mean that we were beneath men. The role of a homemaker is just as important as the role of "the bread winner".

Quoting SuDoNim:

How can women be equal if they don't have the same civil rights as men? The fact the women have had to fight for the right to be educated, vote, hold political office or have a career demonstrates that we were (are?) not viewed as equal, for no other reason than we don't have penises. 

Quoting hellomilla:

Yes, I understand that. It is from the uproar that it led to. Asking for the right to vote led to other "rights" they felt that we needed because they felt women weren't being seen as equals.

Quoting SuDoNim:

But you blame the women's suffrage movement; do you not understand that "suffrage" is the right to vote? 

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM

we do to an extent. our daughter is very into trains/cars/etc... but I also believe that those are "gender neutral".. my boys will NOT wear pink, play in skirts/dress/make up/etc... if he wants to play dress up, we will have cowboys, super heroes, etc for him to dress up in.. just me though.. when our girl was a baby she lived in pinks/browns/purples/etc.. and we ALWAYS had some sort of pink boy in her hair to distinguish her as a girl... 

SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:12 PM

It's not a matter of one role being more important than the other, it's about basic civil rights and being able to choose one's role. You chose to be a homemaker, and I chose to work outside the home; both are important, but more important is the fact that we have a choice. I don't believe the world was a better place when women didn't have the right to choose their role in life.

Quoting hellomilla:

Just because we didnt have the same roles/place in society didnt mean that we were beneath men. The role of a homemaker is just as important as the role of "the bread winner".

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

Quoting SuDoNim:

Quoting hellomilla:

SRUsarahSC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

We have the exact OPPOSITE. I work full time, husband is a SAHD and works part time for NG.  It was important to me that WE raise our baby, we did not want daycare, and since I had the stable career and make good money, I work. DH is looking for a part time job, but nothing too major, because it's most important to us that we rear our baby.  We are both fine with our situation, it's working out great actually. He gets a little stir crazy at times though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

we are pretty traditional. I am a SAHM, my husband is the sole bread winner. I could never marry a man that didnt win the majority of the money.. or that didnt support me staying home wiht the kids:)

IndigoRose
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe the man should have to kill the big bug or the mouse.  

I don't have a man.  Don't want one.  Don't need one to make my life complete, although I have plenty of man friends.  

And, the mouse?...  I do that myself.  But, I'm basically quite soft-hearted and will capture the mouse, taking it to the woods to release it.  A rat?...  I shooed one out of our garage with a broom; he was a big one too!

Squid12
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM
It's not about believing in them, they are real and exist.

We believe in one parent being home with the kids. It happens to be that while I have several degrees and my DH doesn't, he has the job that allows us to vacation when we want and they value a work/life balance. So my husband works and I stay home. I'm not into wasting money on daycare when one of our incomes would basically get spent on daycare alone. I'd rather be with my kids or have my husband with them.

How important is this? It's a deal breaker. I didn't have kids so that daycare and/or the state could raise them and brainwash them. I'd like to brainwash my kids myself. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured