Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (241-250):
lowencope
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM
We are not traditional at all. We both work full time jobs for insurance companies. My Dh cooks dinner on week nights and we each pick up one of the kids from their daycares. We share household and child rearing responsibilities pretty much down the middle. I manage the money make the appointments and take care of anything business related. I also have an apron and live baking and cooking from scratch while my Dh plays golf on the weekends. We have a whole lot of love for our kids and we help each other a lot. It takes 100 percent teamwork in this family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reava
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Do you believe in them? Yes

Do you live your life by them? Due to circumstances we do not.

How important is it to you to live this way? We are both struggling due to not being able to live in a more traditional sense.

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel? We are now. I'm the primary breadwinner. Dh stays home with the kids. He gets up with the baby. He cooks and does much of the cleaning. It's hard because we both believe it should be different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
reava
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:50 PM
Do you believe in them? Yes

Do you live your life by them? Due to circumstances we do not.

How important is it to you to live this way? We are both struggling due to not being able to live in a more traditional sense.

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel? We are now. I'm the primary breadwinner. Dh stays home with the kids. He gets up with the baby. He cooks and does much of the cleaning. It's hard because we both believe it should be different.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 36 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Because they carry diseases, that's why.  I would rather a bug than a mouse

Quoting CV3:

Not the mouse! Mice are cute! No seriously I dont know why people are scared of them....bugs I understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe the man should have to kill the big bug or the mouse.  

CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:53 PM

40s was  just a number I threw out. I was going to  say 50s but I figured older was more like what I meant

Quoting SuDoNim:

They most certainly were. Women took on the roles of homemaker and breadwinner while their men were fighting the war. The iconic 1950's housewife was a backlash against Rosie the Riveter. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Most women were working during the forties while most men were at war....

LucyHarper
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Yes and no. We are both "new age" and traditional at the same time. My husband and I both work, he does make more then me and works more hours, but thats simply because of his job. We do believe that men need to take care of their families, but feel that that can be done in many ways, either by working or by staying home. We don't have traditional home roles, I will mow the lawn while my husband is doing laundry, or the other way around, there is no womens work or mens work, just whomever is available to do it work. We do believe in the traditional roles that its a mans job to protect and respect his family and it is a womans job to in return act like a lady. We are traditional in the way that we live outside of gender roles, manners are very important to us, we have a traditional style of parenting, and we raise our kids in a more old fashion life style.

haydsmom2007
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Um. Well I believe me and my SO are more traditional in how we treat each other, I suppose. I feel like I am more submissive and he is more dominant. He is the leader. But I am not a housewife and never will be. I work full time and don't ever plan on quitting... until I retire, that is. I think generally women are naturally more submissive and passive whereas men are naturally more aggresive and I think it would be weird and cause issues if I fought what came natural to me and tried to "wear the pants" in our relationship. 

LLbaby143
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I believe in them. But I Alsobelieve everyone is different so it may provide the woman with self-assurance and pride if she got her degree and worked. It's that way with me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Learn history.  In the 40's there was WWII.  Most of the men were off fighting in the war and the women were here building war ships and planes.  Ever heard of Rosie the Riveter?

Quote:

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works

Anonymous
by Anonymous 37 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Actually, women weren't "housewives until the 1950's and beyond.  It's a very new concept.  Look back 100 years ago when farmwives did just as much, if not more than their husbands.  They worked in the fields, cared for animals, slaughtered dinner, cooked the meals, and cared for the children.  

The concept of a SAHM who only took care of the house and children is a modern concept.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN