Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (261-270):
Mystres
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I would totally love to be he classic house wife.  

hellomilla
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
No, should and have to are not the same things. Nice try anon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you slow? YOU SAID SHOULD SHOULD SHOULD. SHOULD FUCKING MEANS HAVE TOO. god damn your dumb

Quoting hellomilla:

How did I contradict myself? I'm not seeing that at all. I do think women should be at home with their children. When did I say otherwise? Also how does my religion have anything to do with that belief? So just because I believe women should stay at home means that I'm a Christian? Wow, and you say I need to educate myself.

Quoting Anonymous:

You love to contridict your self. get a education and quit getting on CM. You just told me "MOTHERS SHOULD be at home taking care of their children" yea you kinda did say what i wrote.  basically women should stay home and take care of the kids while the husband works. SHOULD as in obligated too because you say so from religious beliefs. because anyone who thinks a womens place is at home and not outside the house is anyone who is Christian. I am a Wiccan and before that i was a none practicing catholic. I still view it the same way. Men and women can work outside the house or in the house making money IF they want. I have that choice, i dont work outside the house because i have Anxiety and doing anything with costumers in a fast paced environment. but thats me.

Quoting hellomilla:

First off, most of those things you said about me, aren't true. So thanks for assuming things about me. Just because I think that women should be SAHMs or homemakers doesn't mean I look at them as an animal or property of their husband. Being a SAHM/homemaker is a job as well. Last time I checked cleaning up after yourself and your child doesn't make you a slave. I also don't think women should be sex slaves to their husbands or anyone else. I believe men and women are equal, they just have different roles in the family. I also have no problem with a woman being educated. If a woman is single, sure get a job and support yourself. I just think that mothers should be at home taking care of their children.

Quoting Anonymous:

LMAO you dont want women EMPLOYED outside the house.. Your fucking crazy! You dont value women rights, choice and freedom of speech. I hate to be your friend! I hate people like you that think women are supposed to get married after 18, stay a virgin, wear white at the wedding. Give birth as many times the husband say, fuck any time he wants. yes FUCK, Fuck is the same as sex. and do whatever he says and bring GOD into a marriage PSH SMH. Im not a Animal, i dont go having babies 24/7 just because i have two tits and a vagina/uterus.
So basically Women are here on this earth to serve men, not go to college and get a education. Because you know if they go to college/university they have to get a degree and that means they can get a job outside the house which entials leaving and driving. Making money? I guess you think thats absurd lol.. your nuts lmao.. weird weird... Actually my husband would prefer me working, driving and taking kids to places. I dont... i rather stay home while he makes money but at the same time he has to cook, clean, do laundry, make the bed. put his clothes on the hanger and hamper. etc etc... because as human beings we all should pitch in. Especially mean. I dont like lazy ass men who dont do a damn thing but work.

Quoting hellomilla:

I never said women shouldn't have the right to vote. I just don't think they should be employed outside of the house.

Quoting SuDoNim:

Men and women are equal... yet you seem to feel that women being allowed to vote is a negative thing??

Quoting hellomilla:

We are VERY traditional. I'm a SAHM and love it. My husband and I both agree that that is where women should be if they have children. I understand that sometimes families can't afford that. In my opinion it was the womens suffrage movement that made the economy based on a two income household to begin with. I honestly don't think I could be in a relationship where the man believed men and women had to do the same things. I believe man and woman are equal, just in different ways.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Traditional would NEVER work for us. We are equal, both work to provide for this family, and no way would I ever put all the responsibility on my husband.  That is not fair in my opinion.  My husband wants a woman though that has a career, a life outside her family, her own interests, willingly to help support the family, etc.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

finnbar
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Because they leave toxic chocolate sprinkles all over the kitchen!

Quoting CV3:

Not the mouse! Mice are cute! No seriously I dont know why people are scared of them....bugs I understand.

Quoting Anonymous:

I believe the man should have to kill the big bug or the mouse.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Another thing....we both raise our children.  We both attend PTA meetings, help with homework, cook, soccer games, make snacks for games, etc.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

AnitaA
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I don't really believe in  them. (Especially not truly old fashioned) but I don't have a problem with them either. I think I could do either.

I do like the even more modern one where both couples work (ok with full time, ok with making more than the man, etc) yet the wife has the major homemaking responsibilities. But that's just because I do enjoy those...

I'd also be Ok with working part time (I would actually LOVE that!! That would be my preferred option lol)

I'd be ok if the roles were reversed. But my DH would flip the hell out.... He went without a job for 6 months (we were OK financially bc of my job), so he stayed at home for a while and it really got to him. He really, REALLY hated it, and was depressed, it hurt his ego a lot.... so I guess he's more traditional.

luvschocolate
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM

To each their own but it's 50/50 in my house, and that's how I raise my children as well.  

SammiBaby
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:01 PM

I do believe in them, because they do exist. On the outside looking in, my husband and I would fall into the "traditional" roles considering I stay at home to take care of the children, clean, cook, run errands, etc. However, we are very equal in very many ways. I'm all about women's rights, hell my husband calls me a feminist all the time. I only stay at home because he makes a very decent income and we both wanted me to raise the boys to a certain age until they can be cared for while I work. I will return to work though and help provide for our family financially in the way that my husband does.

I just don't understand this debate between the modern day and traditional wives. We're all women, we all take care of our families in some way or another so I just don't understand the problem.

kikibix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM

I think spouses both need to do whatever it takes to make home life run smoothly.   I would not be happy in a relationship that was stiff and rigid where roles were defined by gender not ability and  time to do things.  We don't divide our work up by gender, just do what needs doing. We are both better at different tasks.  Dh irons, cooks and does dishes a lot whereas I do any plumbing and a lot of the home repairs like regrouting and recaulking the tub and tiles.  He mows the lawn and washes/maintains the cars, I do the majority of the laundry and shopping.  Some of our jobs are traditional some aren't.  It works for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM

I just made our evening meal, wearing a dress, heels, and my string of pearls.

Tomorrow, I'm going to play the "barefoot and pregnant" role.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)