Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (281-290):
Rlmama00
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM

That's how it is in our household and I like it that way. It works for us.

weaveress
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:49 AM

My husband is the breadwinner, I am currently a SAHM during the week and I work on Sundays at a nursery. Even if I were to get a job teaching fulltime I would never make as much as he does in his field. So it was just more rational for him to work and me to stay at home while our youngest is not in school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 40 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Do you believe in them?  Yes

Do you live your life by them? Yes

How important is it to you to live this way? Very important

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?  I would not be able to be with or stay with a guy who wanted to be a "stay at home" dad while I supported him.  My husband, luckily, feels the same way.  I stay at home with my three kids, homeschool, and love our daily life.  When the kids are grown and out of the house, I will most likely get a job and use my associates degree.  I believe that motherhood is a very important job that shouldn't be handed over so easily to underpaid day care workers or school teacher.  JMHO though.  Kids deserve more and better.

BelindaDuvessa
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:25 AM

Oh, I believe in them, but with today's economy it's much harder to do.  Could I do it?  No.  I am a very happy working Mother and Wife.  But I have tons of respect for Women who do stay at home all the time.  My husband is a SAHD and we both prefer this arrangement.

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:41 AM

We have that type of marriage, it works for us. He makes most of the money and I pay the bills and invest it. He does the yard work, I do the housework.

ArianEponae
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:42 AM
Do you believe in them? They exist in some households, yes. Do I agree with them? No

Do you live your life by them? No! He has his job, bank account, money and household chores. I have mine. We pay equal shares of the bills.

How important is it to you to live this way? Its what works for our family. Because it does, we keep with it.

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel? I'm already there...so, if I found myself in the old school lifestyle, I'd be miserable. It probably wouldn't last long. I couldn't handle being a sahm or housewife for more Ruben a few days before I lost it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momto3B
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:58 AM

My husband is the primary bread winner and I am a SAHM but that is where any resemblance to a 40's "traditional" marriage ends. 

rockgal81
by Steph on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:49 AM
I have always worked, my so has always worked. I don't think I'd do well in a traditional role. I was in the military for 6 years lol I don't judge people who are in relationships like that, but it isn't for me :)
CV3
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:05 AM
Really? Thats crazy. I will definately be looking that up, thank you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Maybe this is an opportunity for you to educate those you know about the traditional role of a woman.  Woman were always working outside the home and children.  I hate to mention it because I don't want to start a holy war, but the increase in women who do not work outside the home has risen on a correlated slope to the amount of welfare money spent.

ADC (Aid to Dependent Children) started during the great depression.  Women did not get this, only children.  Years later it changed to AFDC (Aid to Families with Dependent Children) and at that point women started applying and the amount spent on this welfare would increase dramatically each year.  In 2010 PA cost US citizens $900 BILLION!   It's not surprising how the cost of welfare benefits in the US has increased along with the number of women who don't work, yet receive benefits.

Quoting CV3:

I actually didnt know this but do now. But most people still call it Traditional or Old Fashioned. At least as far as anyone I know. Most people recognize what I mean when I use those words.

Quoting Anonymous:

Actually, women weren't "housewives until the 1950's and beyond.  It's a very new concept.  Look back 100 years ago when farm wives did just as much, if not more than their husbands.  They worked in the fields, cared for animals, slaughtered dinner, cooked the meals, and cared for the children.  

The concept of a SAHM who only took care of the house and children is a modern concept.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I am going back to school my "hersbend" (lesbian hubby) will go to work and while I would go out and get a job she knows how much I want my Masters so kinda a mix I guess

I've never heard the word "hersbend"  did you make that up or is that really what she is known as?  What are you? (your title)       just curious...thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN