Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Traditional/Oldfashioned" Gender Roles

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you believe in them?

Do you live your life by them?

How important is it to you to live this way?

If you found yourself in a relationship that was "New age/Non Traditional" how would you feel?

By this I mean the old school, forties style home where the wife stays home and raises the kids while the husband works or even the somewhat newer Husband is the major breadwinner but wife works part time to supplement. Baisically anything that puts the man as the money maker and the woman as the homemaker as their main focus.

Wow I am featured.  Was not expecting that!

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 AM
Replies (301-306):
macbudsmom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I prefer the "old school" way.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out for me.  Now I am a single mom, working 40 hours/week and taking care of everything at home.  <sigh>

Jazmyn1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I feel the same way wish i would have said it simple like you did

Quoting Mrs.Vallo:

I am more of a 50s girl myself. I dont mind staying home taking care of my husband and kids. However I dont disagree with others about the non traditional. Each to their own! 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SuDoNim
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:11 PM

You have the freedom to share your opinion, as I have the freedom to challenge it. You specifically said that MOTHERS should be home and FATHERS are not capable of instilling morals or providing adequate supervision. 

On that note, I am off to work right now. My husband will somehow manage to get the older two kids off the bus, get them started on homework, and serve the dinner I started. 

Quoting Jazmyn1:

Omg lol i mean not with a parent!!! Kids need their paren ts is what i am saying just cause they are supervised doesnt mean its ok op asked our opi io s and Im giving mine. Why cant I have my opinion? Im not raggn on you

Quoting SuDoNim:

Sure, assuming kids are indeed left unsupervised if their mother works outside the home. 

Quoting Jazmyn1:

I didn t say women are less then mothers but yes I feel men don t have all it takes sorry again imo everyone has a right to their own opinion i feel if kids had more supervision and guidence after they gethome from school and in summer ect the kids would be different then they are now...look at statistics

Quoting SuDoNim:

Wow. I'm not sure which is more insulting: that women are less than mothers if they don't stay home, or that fathers aren't capable of raising children. 

Quoting Jazmyn1:

Cause thats what a mother does...jmo day care shiuldnt be raising our kids, fathers dont have the proper skills again jmo!

Quoting SuDoNim:

But why does the mom have to be at home full-time in order to guide and teach morals?

Quoting Jazmyn1:

I believe people should care less about material things and take care of their family!!! Yes mom should be mainly home!! I think this is a huge problem with society and our kids today they have no guidence and supervision and no one to teach them morals. Jmo sorry I feel very strongly about this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 42 on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM
Dont mind it but once kids start sch, ill go back to work.it saves us money for me to quit low paying job and just take care of kids at home than pay expensive daycare.and no we dont qualify for pa.
Homeschoolmom99
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I found it on a website
30% OFF ALL T-SHIRTS
Use Code: WELUVYOUSALE
@ www.GlbtShirts.com

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I am going back to school my "hersbend" (lesbian hubby) will go to work and while I would go out and get a job she knows how much I want my Masters so kinda a mix I guess

I've never heard the word "hersbend"  did you make that up or is that really what she is known as?  What are you? (your title)       just curious...thanks

stephiebugg
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I work 30 hours a week, part time. DH works 40. I have always worked. I do not consider it to be supplemental income, it is just the hours that are available where I chose to work.
Because I work part time, I do stay home with the kids more often than my husband. I work both weekend days, and he is home with the kids then.
DH and I talked about him being a SAHD when he was out of work with a back injury. It was a very real possibility for us, and it didn't bother me one bit.
Once my kids are older (both in school) I hope to return to school myself, so I can get a better job.
My husband and I are just doing the best we can with our situation, we aren't strictly adhering to any unwritten rules.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)