Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Fevering toddler. Advice?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies
First, if you are coming in to be snarky, please hit the back button because this is a serious question. I am asking advice from other mother's to get an opinion. Yes, I know they aren't Doctor's.

Okay, so my toddler started fevering tonight. He seemed otherwise fine all day and yesterday, until tonight he started getting very whiny, and I found out. It registered 101.8 hours ago. I checked and it went down briefly after some Tylenol, but it shot right back up to 101.6 and this was under the tongue with a regular, digital thermometer. He is sleeping right now also when I got his last temp.

He was also whining about his head and eyes hurting a lot. He is not a cryer usually at all, so I guess with that and the abruptness of it has me concerned. We have dealt with fevers before, but nothing even this bad usually.

Also he has had 2 tsp of tylenol over the last few hours, and it before I last checked his temp.

So. I am sitting here tired but don't want to go to sleep. Is this temp a major concern? Also he has never had the head and eye pain before, and neither have I. Is that typical to a fever?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diegosmom828
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:22 AM
I give both motrin and tylenol every 4-6 hrs and cool him down with a wet rag on his forehead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM
I normally switch out two but all I have tonight is Tylenol.

Quoting diegosmom828:

I give both motrin and tylenol every 4-6 hrs and cool him down with a wet rag on his forehead.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:23 AM
Bump
mattiehatter
by Mary on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM

Definitely try to get him into the doctor tomorrow. The fever isn't super high, but I'd keep an eye on it and sleep with him if possible. Good luck mama.

diegosmom828
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:26 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emmakins84
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM
1 mom liked this
If it goes on more than 3 days, make a dr's appointment. If you can't get him in right away, go to urgent care or even emergency. They'll check to see what's wrong. A fever is a good thing. The body is fighting off an infection or virus. BUT if it goes any higher, and fast, take him in. My son had a febrile seizure due to a spike in his temp. Its common, but scary. Also, make sure he's not wearing warm clothes. Let him sleep, he will wake you if anything is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacksMom1221
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:27 AM
No. Normally not until it has lasted for 3 days (for kids 2 and up) or if the fever reaches 103. Actually they recommend not treating with Tylenol until the temp gets to 102.3 unless the child is uncomfortable.
Cool rags, tepid bath, light clothing, and Pedialyte. Good luck momma. Call your Pedi tomorrow just to be sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MooseMomma
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I would alternate motrin and tylenol and make sure he's getting extra fluids.  My eyes always kill me when I have a fever. Headache can be caused by even mild dehydration.  Definitely call the doc in the morning for further advice.

(BBC=mrscorbin924)
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
AleaKat
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Try a cool bath. It'll help!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bshoemaker
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:07 AM
My sons pedi adviced against the cools baths. It will help the child while in the tub but naturally when you take him out it can cause the fever to spike higher to warm the body. We usually dress him lightly abd give him the ibprophen* and tynenol and it will go down. They also suggested giving him pedialyte every 5 min for an hour and that made a huge difference. we just do 5ml every 5 min.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)