Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Allergic...or maybe just sensitive...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

I LOVE avocados...LOVE THEM. My grandparents used to have an avocado tree in their backyard and they made the most divine avocados..mmm....

Anyways...The last couple of times I've eaten avocados, my mouth gets really itchy for like, an hour. Its nothing to horrible, it just happens after I eat avocados, and I'll still eat avocados...but is that an allergic reaction?

My mom is allergic to avocados, her throat swells up, although I'm not sure I believe her, because shes kind of a hypochondriac, and I've seen her eat stuff with avocado in, and never even have an issue. There was this salsa that she was eating and didn't know it had it in it, and then I tasted it, and I could taste the avocado, but didn't say anything because I thought she knew.....nothing happened. My brothers tongue gets itchy, but hes like me and still eats avocados.

Could I be having a slight allergic reaction, and if it is, is it going to get worse? I love my avocados man....

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Bump...no one?

Two_Hearts
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:36 AM

It sounds like an allergic reaction to me.

On the note of your mom though...my SO is allergic to tomatoes but they only affect him if they are fresh. He eats ketchup, salsa, spaghetti sauce ...not a problem.

The minute he eats a fresh tomatoe however , his throat swells up....

PerfectVirgo
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:38 AM
That happens to me with berries. If its bad or I eat enough of them, I'll develop a rash on my face and neck.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:42 AM

My husband's ton gets "itchy" if he eats certain fancy lettuces, but he's never had a severe reaction.  Same thing with my son when he eats apples.  I think some foods can just irritate your tongue and it's not really an allergy.  But if you feel it in your throat, that can be dangerous.

The_Doodle
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:49 AM

I'm not sure if that is an allergic reaction or not, but my allergist has told me that there is no building up to resist an allergic reaction...eating them will not make your body stronger against the allergy. The reactions will just keep getting worse if that is what is happening.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:39 PM

So I'm doomed :(

Quoting The_Doodle:

I'm not sure if that is an allergic reaction or not, but my allergist has told me that there is no building up to resist an allergic reaction...eating them will not make your body stronger against the allergy. The reactions will just keep getting worse if that is what is happening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN