Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Preschool.....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies

Am I the only person that doesn't put her kids in preschool????

Someone asked me AGAIN yesterday if my youngest was in Kindergarten yet.  I said, "no, she's only 4, she'll start in August".  Then the next automatic question is: "Where does she go to Preschool (or PreK)...?"  I say, "She isn't in preschool".... then I get the look like I have 3 heads.... and a "REEEEAAAAALLLLLLLLLYYYY???"

I mean, I am a SAHM.  I have 3 kids, and I've never put any of them in preschool, I just don't see the point.  Of course, if you're a working mom, I understand.  But a SAHM (Unless the child has some social issues)... I just don't understand.

I am not judging here... I really don't care if you put your kids in preschool or not... BUT is it really that odd, that I DON'T send mine????

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kitschy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this
School is changing, the curriculum is getting more aggressive. I'm a sahm and my DD goes to preschool to prepare her for kindergarten.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM
I don't think I will be putting dd in preschool. Not only is it expensive but I can teach her the things she needs at home.

What age does kindergarten start?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Hmm well I'm a sahm and my son is 5 and in pre k. Its good for him to be away from me...he was very attached before he started. He loves it and its only two hours a day for five days a week. No big deal. That's my time to grocery shop or relax kid free.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Around here pre k is free with the school district. He goes to the same school as his older brother.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

I don't think I will be putting dd in preschool. Not only is it expensive but I can teach her the things she needs at home.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
2 moms liked this

PreK/preschool is what kindergarten was when we were kids.  It is really beneficial for kids to attend before going to kindergarten, particularly since kindergarten in most places is all day and academic based.

hudson.maggie
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM
I've looked at the local schools and they all charge! I guess I'll keep looking maybe I can find a free one where I live.

Quoting MrS.GiFFord:

Around here pre k is free with the school district. He goes to the same school as his older brother.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:17 AM

I don't know if it's strange or not, but for me, I send mine to preschool because I'm a SAHM.  My children have never gone to daycare, or even had a babysitter that wasn't one of their Grandparents.  I'm not at all concerned about them academically. My 4 year old can read 30+ sight words, does simple  math problems, tells time on an analog clock, etc. because he loves to learn and I like teaching him.  That is not why my kids go to preschool at all.  It's all the other aspects of school that he needs exposure to:  following an authority figure that isn't his mom or dad, the schedule and cadence of a school day, sharing and playing with kids even if they aren't his close friends or favorite people,  

He only goes a few mornings a week.  As a SAHM, I don't feel that I can justify paying for sending him somewhere all day 5 days a week.  That is, after all, what I'm here for.  But I think there are tons of reasons for any child to attend some sort of preschool setting and my personal belief is he'll be better prepared for Kindergarten this Fall having already attended a school like setting.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM
If we could afford it I would put mine in pre k
It's a great opportunity to prepare for kindergarten.
But no I don't have him in pre-k as of now. I'm a stay home mom.
Now our school system does an 8 week FREE pre-k program where mommy and child come in once a week every Friday for some pre-k preparatory time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM

My DD went to pre-k when she was 4 but only after I caved to peer pressure - all my friends and all her peers were in pre-k.  I am really glad I did.  She LOVED pre-k.  I feel that I was a really hands on mom with arts and craft projects, fun phonics and number games, "cooking class", etc.  there was no way the little projects I did at home compared to the full on programs offered by my DDs preschool.  Their unit on Native Americans included building tepees, grinding corn into meal, making clothing out of fake animal skins and making beads out of clay and using them for trade.  They put on full dramatic plays.  They had musical instruments and had a pre-k band which gave a recital.  Nope, I couldn't do that "dog and pony show" every day.

Nathans_mom0612
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM
My twins won't be going to preschool, so you aren't alone. My oldest was delayed in talking so he went and my youngest has cp so he will have to go because he needs speech therapy, pt, and ot.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)