Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son still won't sleep through the night!!! He's FOUR!!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 16 Replies
Ever since DS was a baby he's woken a thousand times throughout the night. Now it's just worse because he won't stay in his bed. I find him in all kinds of places in the morning.
Top bunk, bottom bunk, underneath the bed. Behind the couch, in the chair, half inside the bathroom. In his closet, between his dresser and his wall. It's never where I put him to bed (top bunk). Sometimes when I wake up and go to put my feet on the floor, there he is.
He never wakes me up. If DH or I leave a soda can out in the living room at night, he'll drink what's left in there. He'll get into candy.
We had to put a chain lock on our door because I found him standing by the road in front of a neighbors driveway a few houses down.
I don't know what to do anymore. He's always tired and very cranky by the time he gets home from school (12-3:30). I try to keep him up though. If he falls asleep he misses dinner and won't eat it warmed up. And then he's an asshole to everybody the rest of the night until bed time again.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:23 AM
He needs a nap....if kids are over tired they have problems with sleeping.
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:49 AM

what is his schedule like ie. when he goes to bed for the night, what your night routine is, when he naps, how long he naps, when he wakes up for school etc.

mouthyhousewife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:00 AM
I just don't have a good time for him to take a nap.

Quoting Anonymous:

He needs a nap....if kids are over tired they have problems with sleeping.

mouthyhousewife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Bedtime is at 8. So after dinner he watches tv or a movie with his sister. Or they play in either of their rooms. Until 7. Then showers, jammies, brush teeth, read a book, hugs and kisses and lights out. He's recently started being afraid of the dark so I keep the light on in the jack and jill bathroom between the kids' rooms and keep the door from that to his room open.He wakes up at 7 usually, when I get up to get DD ready for school. He doesn't have school until noon. So in the morning he plays with the baby or helps me do dishes/fold laundry. Or he'll go off and play by himself in his room or watch a movie. Home from school about 3:45 and he's a jerk to his sisters and throws tantrums about everything. Most of the time I have to send him to his room because he's just being naughty. If that happens, he falls asleep and sleeps until 6 or so. On Fridays he doesn't have school so I try to make him nap from 1-2 ish. But it's just a battle. And most of the time he doesn't nap.

Quoting itsm3:

what is his schedule like ie. when he goes to bed for the night, what your night routine is, when he naps, how long he naps, when he wakes up for school etc.

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

with no nap and a bedtime at 8pm, he's overtired.  also, there are too many lights on in the house at night time. here are my thoughts:

1) he's overtired.  he is getting less than 10hrs of sleep and the sleep he does have is fragmented.  kids NEED proper sleep to function; your ds is showing signs of sleep deprivation.  over time, this will cause accumulated sleep debt which will manifest into night wakings, short fuse and inability to stay asleep in general.  your ds is showing signs of all of this.

a young school-aged child who no longer naps  needs at least 11hrs of solid sleep at night.  some may need less but i've never seen a 4 or 5yr old kid who can function properly with 10hrs of sleep.  even my dd who functions great without much sleep for a night can't do this... there are times we are so busy (ie. over the christmas holidays etc) that she is getting about 10hrs at night and at the end of the week, she's a cranky mess. 

2) with no nap, he needs an earlier bedtime.  i would say 7pm lights out, already in bed and going to sleep.  no tv or ipad or electronics.  cut that out before bed; it only promotes sleep disturbances and restless sleep.  let them play with their dolls or puzzles or whatever.  DO NOT LET HIM SLEEP before bedtime!  it will ruin his night sleep.  the early bedtime will help him combat overtiredness.  a bedtime of 7pm will help him maximize his sleep.  this means you will also ahve to adjust dinner and night routines to start a little earlier.

my dd goes to bed at 715pm sharp.  her night routine starts at 630pm and dinner is at 530pm. 

3) extend bed routine.  make night routine something he looks forward to.  with 2 kids that might be hard but take turns reading in their rooms together; all of you can pile into the bed, hav a cuddlefest and read a few stories to relax them.

4) too many lights on in the house at night.  night is for sleeping.  our bodies have something called a circadian rhythm that is regulated by light.  when the sun starts to set, our bodies naturally prepare itself by releasing certain chemicals in the body (melatonin) that preps our bodies for sleep.  when the sun rises, other chemicals are released to rev up our bodies for the day.  when we are exposed to light at night, this disturbs these natural processes and sleeping with lights on only promotes these disturbances.  this is why those who have sleep issues are directed to avoid tv, bright lights, avoid looking at their cell phones when they wake etc because it only promotes sleeplessness.  the light "jolts" our brains awake. 

having a very low voltage night light is ok but try and keep it in a place where it's not directly in his face,  like behind a chair or something.  it can give a low glow but nothing bright. no bathroom light. 

use some sort of visual cue to let him know that it's still night time.  we got dd this clock that tells her when it's sleep time vs time to get up.  when we got this, we told her that if she wakes up in the morning and the bunny is still sleeping, she needs to go back to sleep or at least be quiet in her room. 

also, try running some sort of fan or humidifer in his room.  usually, audio noises can often lull kids to sleep; some kid don't like complete silence at night and having some low soothing background noise gives them the feeling that people are around etc .  dd sleeps with a sound machine even at 4 but this is also because the sounds in our house carries and is very loud upstairs. 

incorporate a sleep chart for incentive.  tell him what the rules are, let him help you make the chart and explain to him what it is.  for every night he goes to bed nicely and STAYS IN BED, he gets a sticker.  if after 10 stickers, he can go to the dollar store and get a prize.  hang it in his room so he can see it and let him put the sticker on there.  kids are usually really excited about that. 

most of all, be consistent.  he won't get it right away so keep at it.  kids learn through repetition so be consistent and over time, he will get it.  enforce the early bedtime.  if you want his behaviour to improve - and for real, i know how cranky he is because i used to suffer from insomnia and i know how horrible you feel when you are so freaking tired - he NEEDS more sleep.

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Bedtime is at 8. So after dinner he watches tv or a movie with his sister. Or they play in either of their rooms. Until 7. Then showers, jammies, brush teeth, read a book, hugs and kisses and lights out. He's recently started being afraid of the dark so I keep the light on in the jack and jill bathroom between the kids' rooms and keep the door from that to his room open.He wakes up at 7 usually, when I get up to get DD ready for school. He doesn't have school until noon. So in the morning he plays with the baby or helps me do dishes/fold laundry. Or he'll go off and play by himself in his room or watch a movie. Home from school about 3:45 and he's a jerk to his sisters and throws tantrums about everything. Most of the time I have to send him to his room because he's just being naughty. If that happens, he falls asleep and sleeps until 6 or so. On Fridays he doesn't have school so I try to make him nap from 1-2 ish. But it's just a battle. And most of the time he doesn't nap.

Quoting itsm3:

mouthyhousewife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Thank you for the info. I am definitely going to incorporate the sleep chart with stickers. (It worked wonders for potty training) And the 7pm bedtime. It wouldn't hurt for DD to have that bedtime also. (She's 5)
We do try to keep the lights low (use the dim light in the living room) and keep the tv sound down real low. We have a smaller house and the kids rooms are right off of the living room. And the baby doesn't go to sleep until after nine.
We do stop tv or movies for the kids an hour before bedtime. They don't have any electronics. The bedtime routine does seem to calm him down. He goes to bed good. He just gets up multiple times a night to sleep somewhere else or get into stuff.
I didn't know the kind of effect the light would have on him. I can't keep a nightlight in there. I take it out in the morning and put it back before bed. But sometimes he'll mess with it at night and break or lose it. I'm also checking into the clock tho, so that may help with the light issue a little. :)

Quoting itsm3:

with no nap and a bedtime at 8pm, he's overtired.  also, there are too many lights on in the house at night time. here are my thoughts:

1) he's overtired.  he is getting less than 10hrs of sleep and the sleep he does have is fragmented.  kids NEED proper sleep to function; your ds is showing signs of sleep deprivation.  over time, this will cause accumulated sleep debt which will manifest into night wakings, short fuse and inability to stay asleep in general.  your ds is showing signs of all of this.

a young school-aged child who no longer naps  needs at least 11hrs of solid sleep at night.  some may need less but i've never seen a 4 or 5yr old kid who can function properly with 10hrs of sleep.  even my dd who functions great without much sleep for a night can't do this... there are times we are so busy (ie. over the christmas holidays etc) that she is getting about 10hrs at night and at the end of the week, she's a cranky mess. 

2) with no nap, he needs an earlier bedtime.  i would say 7pm lights out, already in bed and going to sleep.  no tv or ipad or electronics.  cut that out before bed; it only promotes sleep disturbances and restless sleep.  let them play with their dolls or puzzles or whatever.  DO NOT LET HIM SLEEP before bedtime!  it will ruin his night sleep.  the early bedtime will help him combat overtiredness.  a bedtime of 7pm will help him maximize his sleep.  this means you will also ahve to adjust dinner and night routines to start a little earlier.

my dd goes to bed at 715pm sharp.  her night routine starts at 630pm and dinner is at 530pm. 

3) extend bed routine.  make night routine something he looks forward to.  with 2 kids that might be hard but take turns reading in their rooms together; all of you can pile into the bed, hav a cuddlefest and read a few stories to relax them.

4) too many lights on in the house at night.  night is for sleeping.  our bodies have something called a circadian rhythm that is regulated by light.  when the sun starts to set, our bodies naturally prepare itself by releasing certain chemicals in the body (melatonin) that preps our bodies for sleep.  when the sun rises, other chemicals are released to rev up our bodies for the day.  when we are exposed to light at night, this disturbs these natural processes and sleeping with lights on only promotes these disturbances.  this is why those who have sleep issues are directed to avoid tv, bright lights, avoid looking at their cell phones when they wake etc because it only promotes sleeplessness.  the light "jolts" our brains awake. 

having a very low voltage night light is ok but try and keep it in a place where it's not directly in his face,  like behind a chair or something.  it can give a low glow but nothing bright. no bathroom light. 

use some sort of visual cue to let him know that it's still night time.  we got dd this clock that tells her when it's sleep time vs time to get up.  when we got this, we told her that if she wakes up in the morning and the bunny is still sleeping, she needs to go back to sleep or at least be quiet in her room. 

also, try running some sort of fan or humidifer in his room.  usually, audio noises can often lull kids to sleep; some kid don't like complete silence at night and having some low soothing background noise gives them the feeling that people are around etc .  dd sleeps with a sound machine even at 4 but this is also because the sounds in our house carries and is very loud upstairs. 

incorporate a sleep chart for incentive.  tell him what the rules are, let him help you make the chart and explain to him what it is.  for every night he goes to bed nicely and STAYS IN BED, he gets a sticker.  if after 10 stickers, he can go to the dollar store and get a prize.  hang it in his room so he can see it and let him put the sticker on there.  kids are usually really excited about that. 

most of all, be consistent.  he won't get it right away so keep at it.  kids learn through repetition so be consistent and over time, he will get it.  enforce the early bedtime.  if you want his behaviour to improve - and for real, i know how cranky he is because i used to suffer from insomnia and i know how horrible you feel when you are so freaking tired - he NEEDS more sleep.

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting itsm3:

itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:02 AM

i forgot:  if you get the clock, don't bother with the night light... it already gives a very dim glow that is enough to see a little but not bright.

use the sticker chart and make sure he knows that one of the rules is he must stay in bed.  if you find him in the morning not in his bed, he does not get a sticker.  be very clear of the rules so there is no guess work.  when kids are not clear about rules, they will do things that are not part of the rules because they don't know what to do.  use baby gates at his door to prevent him from wandering in the house.  this is also for his safety.  don't lock his door but the gates should prevent him from wandering. do you know if he sleepwalks and that's how he ends up in different places in the house?

kids LOVE night routines... they're special times to be with mom and dad.  make it your own thing... let them each choose a book to read and then cuddle up in a bed and read.  our night routine involves reading 2 books and then spending a few minutes more cuddling and talking before lights out. 

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Thank you for the info. I am definitely going to incorporate the sleep chart with stickers. (It worked wonders for potty training) And the 7pm bedtime. It wouldn't hurt for DD to have that bedtime also. (She's 5)
We do try to keep the lights low (use the dim light in the living room) and keep the tv sound down real low. We have a smaller house and the kids rooms are right off of the living room. And the baby doesn't go to sleep until after nine.
We do stop tv or movies for the kids an hour before bedtime. They don't have any electronics. The bedtime routine does seem to calm him down. He goes to bed good. He just gets up multiple times a night to sleep somewhere else or get into stuff.
I didn't know the kind of effect the light would have on him. I can't keep a nightlight in there. I take it out in the morning and put it back before bed. But sometimes he'll mess with it at night and break or lose it. I'm also checking into the clock tho, so that may help with the light issue a little. :)

Quoting itsm3:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting itsm3:

mouthyhousewife
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:38 PM
I have questioned the sleep walking before. There are times I find him some place else and woken him up to go back to bed and he is so confused and has a hard time even figuring out how to find his bed. One time when I woke him, he tried to climb his dresser thinking it was the ladder to his bed. But I just kind of wrote it off as grogginess.

Quoting itsm3:

i forgot:  if you get the clock, don't bother with the night light... it already gives a very dim glow that is enough to see a little but not bright.

use the sticker chart and make sure he knows that one of the rules is he must stay in bed.  if you find him in the morning not in his bed, he does not get a sticker.  be very clear of the rules so there is no guess work.  when kids are not clear about rules, they will do things that are not part of the rules because they don't know what to do.  use baby gates at his door to prevent him from wandering in the house.  this is also for his safety.  don't lock his door but the gates should prevent him from wandering. do you know if he sleepwalks and that's how he ends up in different places in the house?

kids LOVE night routines... they're special times to be with mom and dad.  make it your own thing... let them each choose a book to read and then cuddle up in a bed and read.  our night routine involves reading 2 books and then spending a few minutes more cuddling and talking before lights out. 

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting itsm3:

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

Quoting itsm3:

.thatsme.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM
When my SO was little he would sleep walk. His mom told me she would find him at different places every morning. She said one morning she found him asleep on the front porch. I guess he eventually grew out of it. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

sleep walking is very common with sleep-deprived kids, as is night terrors.  sleep walking is also hereditary so if you or your husband sleep-walked as kids, this could also be a reason too... but i'm pretty sure it's from a consistent lack of sleep.

my BIL sleep walks when he is jet-lagged or drunk. 

Quoting mouthyhousewife:

I have questioned the sleep walking before. There are times I find him some place else and woken him up to go back to bed and he is so confused and has a hard time even figuring out how to find his bed. One time when I woke him, he tried to climb his dresser thinking it was the ladder to his bed. But I just kind of wrote it off as grogginess.

Quoting itsm3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN