Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Im scared he'll take my kids :(

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 74 Replies

My ex husband and I divorced 10 years ago. He was ordered to pay $515 a month in support for our two babies at the time. Two years later he remarried and moved away and didnt visit with the kids at all. Last year when his Dad died he came to town and facebooked me, and asked to visit them for a couple hours. He said his wife didnt want me to be there and asked if they could have a visit at his Moms house (who I trust and still see each week because we live close together and she still has a relationship with the kids.) So trying to be the bigger person,  I said yes.

Anyway, last night the IRS kicked my taxes back because he decided to claim them. So I sent him a calm FB message asking if was indeed HIM that claimed them because the IRS said someone had already claimed them this year. He answered back "yeah because I pay support for them." In our divorce decree I was suppose to get one while he got the other (he was also suppose to have shared parenting and pay so much of their healthcare and preschool and schooling costs etc but doesnt do that either.)

So finally, I said this morning:

"Ok, I am going to go ahead and call the child support enforcement agency for a review. You makes a ton of money compared to what you used  to and haven' t paid for many of the things ordered in our decree, and now you claimed the kids? I'm not trying to be nasty but I feel like this what needs to be done at this point. "

This is what he fired back at me. 

"Go for it. When they see I make probably 60k-70k more than you they will give me custody of the girls if I ask for it and if you want to try and take my money just watch me I'll get the girls." 

After that I said, back. "That was a nasty thing to say. This conversation is over with." 

My anxiety is through the roof. The rational part of me says, the kids dont know who this man is and  really he wouldnt try to take them from  me over child support. Then another part of me is like "*I* dont know who this man is either- who is to say he wouldn't try???? I guess I am looking for outside validation that if I send in this paperwork I've already printed off this morning,  even if he does try to get custody, no judge is going to just hand over two kids who dont know him. He lives several states away and has zero relationship with them. Its true he probably does make that much more than us. My husband is police officer and only made $46,000 last year and he (me ex) works for a defense contractor  and I have no idea how much he makes. It looks like from his facebook its probably a great deal more than us as his house is newer, and he drives two new cars and we drive 2 old clunkers. Would a judge consider how much more they make as a factor in giving him partial custody of the kids???

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skyelyns_mommie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this
You have nothing to worry about mama no judge would do that your ex is just pissed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
No, they would just increase,the amt he owed you
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:03 AM
3 moms liked this
Just because he makes more money doesnt mean they will take the kids. As long as the kids are well provided for the judge would rather leave them with their mother.
Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM
File, his chances of getting full custody are very very slim (assuming all you have said is true and you can prove it).
Meglet1970
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Print out the post to keep for records. 

SunshineBird
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Unless you are a complete wreck of an unfit mother there is absolutely no way they will give him full custody. It wouldn't matter how much money he makes, the courts will do everything they can to provide a stable and safe environment for the kids. Uprooting them from their lives and mother is nearly impossible to achieve (unless unfit). 

P.s. I'd be effing livid about the taxes!!! That's going to make him look like an ass in court considering he completely disregarded the court order concerning claiming on taxes.

Miranda1127
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:06 AM
8 moms liked this
I would also file a dispute claim w/the irs. If you have support the kids for 51% of the year and there is no court document stating its his year to claim, he could be in major trouble.
LoveMyLos
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM

he can't take the kids. why do women think just bc the dude has a penis he can do what he wants? 

i would also call the irs and tell them that he illegally claimed your kids. they will make him pay it back, and you will get your money.

mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Don't worry. He hasn't had regular visitation or provided the full support he is required. No judge would change custody in that situation. The only thing the judge might change is the amount he is ordered to pay for support. If he makes more then he can be ordered to pay more.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM
No judge would give him the girls especially if you have it in writting him basically saying if you try and adjust cs he wants custody just so he wouldn't have to pay. Save and print that conversation
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN