Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should he go against her wishes?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 22 Replies
My SO had a falling out with his 17 year old daughter. I don't want to get into what all it was except to say it was petty on her part and very like a teenager.

She refuses to talk to him unless its to call him on the phone and cuss him out when she's having a bad day. She is very self centered and spoiled.

She will be graduating in June and he and I talked about it today and I told him he should go to her graduation no matter what, even if she tells him not to come. He disagrees and says she's never had any real consequences and if they ever reconcile she will have to live with the fact that she told him not to go.

I'm not pushing him on the issue, we talked and I gave him my opinion and ill leave it up to him as to what he will do.

So for arguments sake who's right? Him or I?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

he should be the adult and go

momcat437
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Forget about how she would feel--how would HE feel if he missed it?  I say he should go--he doesn't even have to let her know that he's there--that's would I would do, anyway...

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM
That's what I told him, he and I can sit far away from her mom and family and no one will ever know we went unless he tells her down the road.

Quoting momcat437:

Forget about how she would feel--how would HE feel if he missed it?  I say he should go--he doesn't even have to let her know that he's there--that's would I would do, anyway...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
edelweiss23
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM
He should go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:54 AM
This. He is the grown up, he needs to be there to support and congratulate his daughter. Family is family and even when we are mad, we still support each other

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

he should be the adult and go

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I think he should go whether she wants him there or not. They will be fine again, and if he doesn't go, he'll regret it and she might get more mad at him. Teens always say things like that, but they really want their parents there. At least I was that way with my mom. I almost disowned my mother because I didn't see her at my graduation, I thought she didn't go. She did, but the crowd was too much for her so she left right after.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Well I would agree with you because he will miss out on the graduation and feel bad in the future after they reconcile also. But its up to him in the end. I would not stress to much as there is a few month before June and they could make up by then.

s.osborne
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I've known people that didn't go to graduations and they regretted it forever.

firespurity
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
As parents we must show love and support to our children, even in their darkest hours. We love them even when they hate us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM
The falling out happened last march when I got pregnant and she decided to get jealous of the new baby and then when I miscarried she told her father she was glad the baby died. He jumped her shit for it and she decided she didn't want to have anything to do with him anymore.

I really don't think they will reconcile any time soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well I would agree with you because he will miss out on the graduation and feel bad in the future after they reconcile also. But its up to him in the end. I would not stress to much as there is a few month before June and they could make up by then.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN