Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Don't Lend Unless You Are Prepared to Not Get it Back

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 0 Replies

I learned that lesson the hard way this week.

My daughter was born in December of 2011. I has a couple of BEAUTIFUL (and pricey!) Christmas dresses for her to wear. Once the holidays were over, I boxed up the dresses to put in my daughter's memory chest. I don't keep everything, but a little toy or special outfit here and there do go in the box.

Fast forward to this past Christmas. My husband's cousin and wife had a baby girl, and were looking for nice outfits for the baby to wear, but could not find anything locally. I told her we had my daughter's stuff, that she could borrow, but that it was really important to me that the dresses return to us so they could be kept. She promised to take good care of the items, and the following day her husband came to pick them up. He too promised to return them once the holidays were over. They are both VERY responsible people, so I had no concerns.

You know where this is going... I messaged my cousin's wife a week ago, and she got back to me yesterday. All the baby's 0-3month stuff has been donated, and it seems the dresses went too (she's blaming a miscommunication with her mom who was helping her sort). She feels bad and is offering to buy new dresses, but I don't want to make her do that. The new dresses would not be the same, nor would they be my daughter's first Christmas dresses. 

I'm not going to hold it against them, stuff happens, life gets busy, stuff gets put int he wrong box, etc. and I understand that. I assure you though, my daughter's memory box remains closed for future lending. 

Ever get burned lending stuff?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN