Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MY tax refund?!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM
  • 49 Replies

I'll get about 200 dollars back. You know what I'll use that for? Getting my electricity turned back on after 5 months of not being able to pay the bill.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Good luck can't imagine trying to live like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

why have you not payed the bill if it was so low? do you live where it is warm and not need to use heat? 

wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM

We are getting around a hundred back. I guess we will go put to eat on it. 100 bucks won't buy anything important lol.

katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

It isn't low. I have a 2 bedroom apartment, and I barely scrape together enough money to pay just the rent each month, living on only my income since my DS's father left 6 months ago. The electric bill has had to fall to the wayside. The roof over our heads comes first. 
The reconnect fee and down payment for the payment plan totals about $190, and that still leaves me with almost $200 left on the bill to pay off. Then there's the gas bill as well, which I owe about $100 on, but I haven't gotten the shut off notice for that yet.
No phone, no internet (borrowing the neighbor's), no car insurance, not even tags on my license plate. I'm lucky I get PA so we can eat. 

It really bums me out to see all the nice things people are planning on getting with their refunds. I'll buy DS some snow boots and mittens (he keeps losing his) if I can find any left over spare cash.

Quoting Anonymous:

why have you not payed the bill if it was so low? do you live where it is warm and not need to use heat? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

what about HEAP? how do you heat? where do you live? do you work? can you work? im sorry thngs are so bad but they CAN get better!

Quoting katemckenzie:

It isn't low. I have a 2 bedroom apartment, and I barely scrape together enough money to pay just the rent each month, living on only my income since my DS's father left 6 months ago. The electric bill has had to fall to the wayside. The roof over our heads comes first. 
The reconnect fee and down payment for the payment plan totals about $190, and that still leaves me with almost $200 left on the bill to pay off. Then there's the gas bill as well, which I owe about $100 on, but I haven't gotten the shut off notice for that yet.
No phone, no internet (borrowing the neighbor's), no car insurance, not even tags on my license plate. I'm lucky I get PA so we can eat. 

It really bums me out to see all the nice things people are planning on getting with their refunds. I'll buy DS some snow boots and mittens (he keeps losing his) if I can find any left over spare cash.

Quoting Anonymous:

katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM

We live in Michigan, and use our oven for heat right now, since it's run off gas. I work, full time hours, part time status at just barely above minimum wage. Friends watch DS when I can find one that's available, otherwise I have to call into work, and lose money. I don't have family that can help anymore.
I feel very alone in this struggle, and I'm just trying to keep DS happy and healthy. He's almost 2. 

Quoting Anonymous:

what about HEAP? how do you heat? where do you live? do you work? can you work? im sorry thngs are so bad but they CAN get better!

Quoting katemckenzie:

Quoting Anonymous:

bellawomen
by Summer on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM
How do you get so little? No EIC? Do you get child support? Have you talked to your manager about a possible lower rent?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pink.Sunshine
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Wow! 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

You should be able to get more in taxes. Claiming head of house hold, child tax credit (which is $1000 by itself), EIC?

katemckenzie
by Kate on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I don't get the EIC because my ex is still claiming me as a dependent in order to get more taxes back, because he supported me for most of the year last year, and I only worked 3 months of the year. He's putting that money, and the money he'll get for claiming DS into a college savings account for him, but won't let us have it to help pay rent and what not. Manager already lets me do odd jobs for discounts on rent, and I still barely scrape it together each month. No legal child support yet, Friend of the Court is dragging their asses slower than hell, but my ex was giving me 250 out of pocket each month, but is refusing to do so this month bc there's no court order saying he has to, and he doesn't feel like doing it anymore, since he has DS half the time anyway. He says he doesn't need to support him while he's at my home. I have full custody by default, but he doesn't care.

Quoting bellawomen:

How do you get so little? No EIC? Do you get child support? Have you talked to your manager about a possible lower rent?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN