Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

from SLATE:

Fighting anti-vaxxers is critical. The misinformation they spread is incredibly dangerous. First, because it’s simply wrong, almost to a letter. Second, because it spreads fear, and then parents don’t vaccinate their kids or get booster shots themselves. And when that happens, herd immunity drops, and when herd immunity drops, kids start getting infected. Some die. This is no joke: It happens in Australia, it happens in the United Kingdom, it happens here in the United States. Boulder, CO had a breakout last year and one baby came very close to death.

We need to get the word out: Vaccines save lives. And we also need to fight the forces of ignorance when we can.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (371-380):
MomofHDFandNWF
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the poster that said "God will take care of my kids"... I do believe that God is ultimately in control.  But, with that being said... not vaccinating because "God will take care of my kids" to me is equivalent to saying "God will provide me with the right job" and sitting on your butt waiting for said job to fall in your lap VS praying that God will provide you with the right job and actively searching said job out.  For me, vaccines are not an "all or nothing" situation.  There are some that I choose to have my children get, and some I do not. 

I also have my son get some vaccines that I do not choose to have my daughter receive.  Prime example - the flu shot... my son in the past has suffered from febrile seizures and was hospitalized for them last May after contracting the Adenovirus.  Since this is the case, any time he gets a fever we need to be on top of our game to make sure we get his fever down as quickly as possible so he does not have more ferile seizures.  We have been told that we need to be "on the guard" until he is about 8 (he is almost 2 at this point); most children out-grow them at that point.  So, because of his past history, he received the flue shot at his 18 month WCC in January.  Whereas, my daughter nor I got the flu shot this year... that way if one of us does get it, hopefully he will be protected from it.

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:06 PM

This goes both ways. 

And just because someone chooses against vaccines, does not mean that they are ignoring information.  I look, read, research, learned how to decipher studies, and understand them, and I look at all sides of this conflict (we seem to think as a whole that is vax vrs non vax, this is just not true). 

Quoting Anonymous:

Be skeptical, be an advocate for your children! Just don't be so obtuse as to ignore anything you are told that breaks you out of your preconceived notions. That is just as dangerous.

No one claims medicine to be flawless. Doctors, etc are only humans. There is always room for error.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Of course I'm skeptical!  Modern medicine has not proven itself flawless and it would be stupid for anyone NOT to move forward with skepticism! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Read the website about the correlation to SIDS. As I mentioned, you will be able to support anything you want to believe via the internet. it's the source that matters. There is no proof I will be able to give you that  you will believe because you have chosen to be skeptical.

Also, you see the list of complications, things like "seizures" etc., those are complications.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

The statistics that you listed only state "deaths" not complications.  Why is that?

Also, who decides if a death is from a vaccine or is labeled as something else?  For example, a baby dies from  sids within 24 hours of receiving a vaccine, its listed as SIDS, and any connection to a vaccine reaction is usually dismissed.  So, how accurate are those numbers?  I see two reactions considered in this information given by the cdc, why not other complications?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have reseached both sides of the debate and I work in a field with children in a medical setting so I need to have my information available. The internet can help you support your beliefs in either direction. There will always be those who want to believe there is a huge conspiracy about what the government tells us, the pharmaceutical companies are being paid off, etc.

You can choose to ignore facts from the medical community. These are people that have dedicated their lives to the health and well-being of our children. Or you can find some ridiculous articles from some Mommy Blog that supports what you want to believe.

This is a link to common questions that are brought up regarding the safety of vaccines. I am positive that no matter what evidence is given, the ant-vaxxers will come up with a set of nonsense facts to contradict it.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vac-gen/6mishome.htm

No matter what you chose to believe, the FACT remains that vaccines save more lives than they injure. It's statistics. You can't argue with it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

You're absolutely right.

I work in a medical field so I see this on a much greater scale than you do ( I would hazard to guess). It's not necessarily vax vs. anti-vax. It sincerely concerns me where people chose to get their facts from. If you are writing a research paper in a medical field, you can't rely on some Mommy Blog where anecdotal evidence is "I took my kid to the doctor for their dTap and now he is sick". That's not fact, that's a layperson making a non-scientific judgment as to how their kid got ill. I am speaking in mild generalities, but I think you probably see what I am saying.

I don't want to see your child become ill from not being vaccinated, much like I don't want to see mine injured because they do.

There are cases when vaccines are not ideal for a child (or an adult). Allergies to ingredient(s), adverse reaction of another close family member to a vaccine, compromised immune system or an immune disorder that makes it more likely to cause harm. It's not black and white by any stretch. What I do know is that we need to protect those people who cannot get a vaccine too. It's not their fault they can't have it, but they benefit from the herd immunity provided when those of us who can get the vaccines do so.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

This goes both ways. 

And just because someone chooses against vaccines, does not mean that they are ignoring information.  I look, read, research, learned how to decipher studies, and understand them, and I look at all sides of this conflict (we seem to think as a whole that is vax vrs non vax, this is just not true). 

Quoting Anonymous:

Be skeptical, be an advocate for your children! Just don't be so obtuse as to ignore anything you are told that breaks you out of your preconceived notions. That is just as dangerous.

No one claims medicine to be flawless. Doctors, etc are only humans. There is always room for error.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Of course I'm skeptical!  Modern medicine has not proven itself flawless and it would be stupid for anyone NOT to move forward with skepticism! 

Quoting Anonymous:

Read the website about the correlation to SIDS. As I mentioned, you will be able to support anything you want to believe via the internet. it's the source that matters. There is no proof I will be able to give you that  you will believe because you have chosen to be skeptical.

Also, you see the list of complications, things like "seizures" etc., those are complications.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

The statistics that you listed only state "deaths" not complications.  Why is that?

Also, who decides if a death is from a vaccine or is labeled as something else?  For example, a baby dies from  sids within 24 hours of receiving a vaccine, its listed as SIDS, and any connection to a vaccine reaction is usually dismissed.  So, how accurate are those numbers?  I see two reactions considered in this information given by the cdc, why not other complications?

Quoting Anonymous:

I have reseached both sides of the debate and I work in a field with children in a medical setting so I need to have my information available. The internet can help you support your beliefs in either direction. There will always be those who want to believe there is a huge conspiracy about what the government tells us, the pharmaceutical companies are being paid off, etc.

You can choose to ignore facts from the medical community. These are people that have dedicated their lives to the health and well-being of our children. Or you can find some ridiculous articles from some Mommy Blog that supports what you want to believe.

This is a link to common questions that are brought up regarding the safety of vaccines. I am positive that no matter what evidence is given, the ant-vaxxers will come up with a set of nonsense facts to contradict it.

No matter what you chose to believe, the FACT remains that vaccines save more lives than they injure. It's statistics. You can't argue with it.

supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM

That is not how anaphylactic shock works. No doctor would tell you it was a reaction to Tylenol. If someone had anaphylactic shock after a vaccination, they would have had to be sensitized to egg, which used to be used more commonly in vaccines. Chemicals don't cause anaphylactic shock: it is an immune response. 

Quoting tyrelsmom:

Love the "none proven".

Yeah, a baby could go into anaphylactic shock and die immediately after getting a vaccine and some doctors would tell you that it could have been a reaction to the Tylenol given beforehand.
I personally know someone who died from the DTAP. Reaction started immediately, he was put on life support, but was eventually diagnosed as brain dead and taken off.

Quoting Anonymous:

No one wants to see kids die, whether from not having a vaccine, or from an adverse reaction, contrary to what people think. But the evidence supports the likelihood of death or serious injury is greater for being unvaccinated.

Taken from the actual statistics from the CDC:

Risk from Disease versus Risk from Vaccines

Measles and Rubella vs. MMR Vaccine

Even one serious adverse event in a million doses of vaccine cannot be justified if there is no benefit from the vaccination. If there were no vaccines, there would be many more cases of disease, and along with the more disease, there would be serious sequelae and more deaths. But looking at risk alone is not enough - you must always look at both risks and benefits. Comparing the risk from disease with the risk from the vaccines can give us an idea of the benefits we get from vaccinating our children.

DISEASE

Measles
Pneumonia: 6 in 100
Encephalitis: 1 in 1,000
Death: 2 in 1,000

Rubella
Congenital Rubella Syndrome: 1 in 4 (if woman becomes infected early in pregnancy)

VACCINES

MMR
Encephalitis or severe allergic reaction: 
1 in 1,000,000

Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis vs. DTap Vaccine

DISEASE

Diphtheria
Death: 1 in 20

Tetanus
Death: 2 in 10

Pertussis
Pneumonia: 1 in 8
Encephalitis: 1 in 20
Death: 1 in 1,500

VACCINES

DTaP
Continuous crying, then full recovery: 1 in 1000
Convulsions or shock, then full recovery: 1 in 14,000
Acute encephalopathy: 0-10.5 in 1,000,000
Death: None proven

The fact is that a child is far more likely to be seriously injured by one of these diseases than by any vaccine. While any serious injury or death caused by vaccines is too many, it is also clear that the benefits of vaccination greatly outweigh the slight risk, and that many, many more injuries and deaths would occur without vaccinations. In fact, to have a medical intervention as effective as vaccination in preventing disease and not use it would be unconscionable.

Research is underway by the U.S. Public Health Service to better understand which vaccine adverse events are truly caused by vaccines and how to reduce even further the already low risk of serious vaccine-related injury.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Really?  Okay then, show me the research that proves that vaccine reactions are less likely to occur then death or complication from the disease itself. 

Quoting supercarp:

The point is, your baby is much more likely to catch the diseaes (and these are really bad diseases) or pass it to someone else as a result of not being vaccinated than to have a reaction from the vaccine that is life threatening

redneckmama4
by Loree on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM
While I can agree about doctors, I won't agree that all of the unbiased information is fully within everyone's reach to actually see facts from both sides.

Diseases have ballooned in the last part of the last century and into the 21st. Nasty stuff. Makes me wonder why when science and medicine has become so advanced???

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not saying you do. I am the kind of person that believes that arguing your point with correct grammar, spelling and punctuation makes you more credible. I am normally an impeccable speller. Too bad I didn't use my check spelling button.

But in all seriousness, as someone working in a medical field I am just flabbergasted by what people want to believe. You can provide serious medical FACTS that people chose to ignore because they "read it on the internet".

Doctors are not infalliable. They are only human too. This is the life of a child here. It could be the lives of many children.  If we want a serious dialogue about the pros and cons of vaccines then we need to actually read FACTS. Something we read on Cafe Mom or another public website isn't FACT. That's what concerns me more than anything else.

Quoting redneckmama4:

I don't care if you didn't spell a word right...

Quoting Anonymous:

As far as I am concerned, I am not longer allowed to argue any point when I misspell something (rebuttal). So kudos to you. =) 

Quoting redneckmama4:

I fight for the right to choose! I never stated otherwise. What you do with your family is your choice, as is mine.

This would be your first rebuttal:) The first statement lacked anything tangible...just a jab I've heard way too often.

You work in the medical field... that's a trump card there!

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I have plenty I could say, but I have learned that when you are discussing issues with people who refuse to look at more than their side of an argument, you may as well give up. I do what's best for my kids, you do what's best for yours. I work in a medical field dealing with children so I tend to think I probably have a better idea what's going on in the vaccine community as I deal with a larger sampling of the population than you do.

So, consider this my last rebuttle.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Are you serious? This is all you got??

Lame...

Quoting Anonymous:

This coming from a woman whose screen name has redneck in it and a pot leaf American flag. Lol. 'MERICA! Your kids must be proud.

Quoting redneckmama4:

Dang, you sound really young, immature and in need of true education.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do whatever you want. Just keep your unvaccinated kids away from my newborn. I shouldn't have to stay sequestered in the house because you decided to play roulette with your kids' health.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your kids are vaccinated then what do you have to worry about?

And LOL at "better be homeschooling and keeping them from public places"...gee, where did you get the right to dictate what other people do? Just because you said that I'm sure all the non vaxers will now never leave their house, oh great know it all.

Quoting Anonymous:

Keep your unvaccinated germ bag kids away from mine. You don't have to vaccinate, but you better be homeschooling and keeping them from public places.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Check The World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control, the American Medical Association or ask your own pediatrician.

And yes, they have found a very strong correlation between smoking mothers and SIDS deaths.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

So your saying that the majority of SIDs cases, the mothers were smokers? 

Can you tell me what group of "really smart" people conducted these "studies"... If you can tell me the name of the group that conducted the study, then I'm sure I can find this "study" myself. 

Does smoke and second hand smoke seem to increase the risk of sids, studies indicate yes, so does stomach sleeping, formula, ect. 

Address the question on hand, why is it that if a baby dies suddenly withing 24-48 hours after receiving a vaccine, the death is labeled SIDS and is not looked at as a possible vaccine injury? 

Quoting supercarp:

Really smart people have studied these issues and recognized by other really smart people all around the world. Most SIDS is directly attributable to a mother's smoking during pregnancy. There is a minority of SIDS occurances that are unsolved. Vaccines do not cause SIDS.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Just like he takes care of the kids who die from cancer or get beated, raped, kidnapped or otherwise abused? Just like he takes care of the starving children in third world countries. I'm glad he at least cares about YOUR kids.

Quoting Steph103:

My daughter is as healthy as can be and she hasn't got vaxx. I will not put those poisons in my kids. God will take care of my children.

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM
You're delusional

Quoting Steph103:

My daughter is as healthy as can be and she hasn't got vaxx. I will not put those poisons in my kids. God will take care of my children.

daughteroftruth
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Lol.. I have done all of those.  Your assumption is that if a mother or family proceed with caution in the area of vaccination or choose not to vaccinate, then they must be uneducated right? 

There is a strong correlation in the increased risk of sids and exposure to smoke.  You said MOST sid cases attributed to smoking mothers.  I cannot find anything that states that MOST sid cases are caused by smoking. There is an increased risk of sids with smoke exposure.   

Quoting supercarp:

Check The World Health Organization, the Centers for Disease Control, the American Medical Association or ask your own pediatrician.

And yes, they have found a very strong correlation between smoking mothers and SIDS deaths.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

So your saying that the majority of SIDs cases, the mothers were smokers? 

Can you tell me what group of "really smart" people conducted these "studies"... If you can tell me the name of the group that conducted the study, then I'm sure I can find this "study" myself. 

Does smoke and second hand smoke seem to increase the risk of sids, studies indicate yes, so does stomach sleeping, formula, ect. 

Address the question on hand, why is it that if a baby dies suddenly withing 24-48 hours after receiving a vaccine, the death is labeled SIDS and is not looked at as a possible vaccine injury? 

Quoting supercarp:

Really smart people have studied these issues and recognized by other really smart people all around the world. Most SIDS is directly attributable to a mother's smoking during pregnancy. There is a minority of SIDS occurances that are unsolved. Vaccines do not cause SIDS.

Quoting daughteroftruth:

Quoting Anonymous:

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM
The same can be said for my daughter who is vaccinated

Quoting redneckmama4:

Nope. Immune systems work, if they aren't compromised.

I found my old shot records from the 70's and I got around 6. Now kids get around 39 by 5yo. That is extreme to say the least!

We created the germ infested world we live in and our children are the product.

Our kids don't get shots and our oldest hasn't needed or been to the doc in almost 10 years. The youngest hasn't been in almost 4 years. She is 13 this month and he is 5 this year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)