Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Normal for a 3 year old?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
I babysit a little girl who will be 3 in a week. My son is only 5 months older than her and they are like night and day developmentally.

She is still in diapers, when we work on potty training here she pees everywhere, my son has been fully trained for a year.

she also barely speaks. The words she does say are babytalk or so slurred you can't even tell. You canonly tell what she says if its 1 word at a time, such as, she says ninny, to tell us she wants her blanket. Other words she speaks lazily, like my sons name she says evaaaaa, instead of evan. I would put her speech on track with that of a 1 yr old.

She also drools alot, like she can't use her mouth muscles to hold it in.

She also is very sensitive to sounds. My son can't play his drum and I can't vacuum, or go threw a car wash because she freaks out uncontrollably and doesn't calm down for a good 30 minutes after.

Her mom has her in speech therapy and according to mom shes excelling, but I see no change at all.

My question is, how normal is this for a 3 year old? I only have my kids to. Compare and both were speaking full sentences at 18 months and fully potty trained at 2.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
ALWsMomma
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Not very normal. The drooling and sensitivity to sound would make me want to have her evaluated
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM
My son was a late talker but he did other things earlier than some kids. He was about 3ish when he potty trained and started talking.
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:38 AM

She sounds autistic to me.

Mom2HayTay
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:39 AM

The drool thing doesn't sound normal at all. Speech, now that really depends on child. And potty training...different kid = different speed. Sound thing is a little off. Have they had her evaluated by a child psychologist?

Sometimes school districts will have programs for kids as young as 3 that they will provide. My 2nd is getting speech therapy through Child Find in our school district  and they pay for it. There are other children in some of the classes that have behavioral issues and the state also pays for them.

Raeann11
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

It is not right to compare children. All children are different developmentally. Well her speech is being taken care of. My two older girls were not using the potty till after they were 3 years old. Some kids drool when teething and sorry some kids are mouth breathers and do tend to drool. There could be more going on with her.

My oldest has speech delay and only had about 12 words at about 3 years old. My second did not have a speech boom till after 2 years old and our third was talking early.

My oldest is sensitive to sounds and so am I. Just the way we work.

All children are different.

mlmynm81
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 AM

The potty training is normal, I was concerned with my DS since hes 3 but his DR told me kids progress at different times and that his own kids werent fully trained till they were about 4. The other stuff though, she may need to get evaluated...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN