Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

PA people living above their means?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 232 Replies
4 moms liked this

I know I'm going to get slammed for this, and I also know I don't have to read all the annoying PA posts, but come on people, you don't NEED it, or at least most of you don't. 

You don't HAVE to live in the city of your choice, you can rent a place in a somewhat rural area for MUCH cheaper and SAVE money on rent - even with the gas for dh to get to work. You can actually MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD! You don't have to buy stuff out of boxes, you can actually make that 20.00 meal out of boxes for like 4 bucks - no shit. You can do your OWN nails! You really can, I swear. They can even be pretty awesome if you spend like 10 bucks on amazon for nail art image plates. The list goes on and on. I know from personal experience. We spent 3 years on ONLY my hubby's income of 17-21k with a truck payment, car insurance, mortgage, taxes, home owners ins., etc. because I was very ill and couldn't work and it took FOREVER to get disability. Now of course I get disability and he makes much more than that, but we qualified for FS, TA, free lunches for the kids (we have 2), etc. and we didn't take any damn thing. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD. Learn to live WITHIN your means people.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
3 moms liked this

I think the some of the things you're mentioning are kind of harsh. We don't want people to live like animals or something. I mean, if they want to that's up to them, but it's unfair to force people to live so far beneath others that they can't have basic desires met.

However, I am not on assistance, and I choose not to have things like cable, big TVs, expensive clothes, lots of shoes, jewelry, etc. 

I have chosen to live somewhat simply. 

I know people who look for work very half-assed and live off the government, end up never actually working, and then have so many more things than me.

In fact, most people on assistance I know have all the electronics and video games and huge TVs and cable channels, etc. that they want, eat nothing but pizza, fast food, go out to dinner several times a week etc.,shop at expensive stores, etc.

But then they whine about the bills they do have to pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Hmmm what if im on the same boat as you waiting for disability, for self only now df is aslo disabled? Would you judge me for that? We did fine on our own for a while. Food budgets was tight but even with ten in the house we managed. But when he lost his job it kicked us hard. I get crap for my current sitch all the time but no one ever wants the rest of the story.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Where did I say not to have basic needs met or live like animals? My needs were met during that time. On only 17k the first year. Was it an adjustment? Yes. Did me or my children starve, freeze, or go naked? No. Cooking, doing your own nails, and not living in your ideal setting to save some $ = living like an animal? wtf?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think the some of the things you're mentioning are kind of harsh. We don't want people to live like animals or something. I mean, if they want to that's up to them, but it's unfair to force people to live so far beneath others that they can't have basic desires met.

However, I am not on assistance, and I choose not to have things like cable, big TVs, expensive clothes, lots of shoes, jewelry, etc. 

I have chosen to live somewhat simply. 

I know people who look for work very half-assed and live off the government, end up never actually working, and then have so many more things than me.

In fact, most people on assistance I know have all the electronics and video games and huge TVs and cable channels, etc. that they want, eat nothing but pizza, fast food, go out to dinner several times a week etc.,shop at expensive stores, etc.

But then they whine about the bills they do have to pay.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:12 PM
2 moms liked this

That I understand, and it's temporary and legit - though I have to qualify it and say I'm always suspicious when suddenly the other half is waiting for SSD as well and it's usually for something like "back pain" because it seems to me that SSD is turning into the new PA for people who've run out of effing PA, but that's a post for another day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Hmmm what if im on the same boat as you waiting for disability, for self only now df is aslo disabled? Would you judge me for that? We did fine on our own for a while. Food budgets was tight but even with ten in the house we managed. But when he lost his job it kicked us hard. I get crap for my current sitch all the time but no one ever wants the rest of the story.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Thank you and to help df has some thing wrong with hid leg that is a result of surgery to remove a lymph node the size of an orange from his groin. He tried to work after but the swelling got so bad he can barely walk. The docs think it is lymph fluid but are not sure. He is 42 and had a job of some sort since he was 16. He is not ok with this. But it was this or the loss of the leg. Which would still disabling. It sucks because he is sooooo stressed out over not working he has to go to therapy.

Quoting Anonymous:

That I understand, and it's temporary and legit - though I have to qualify it and say I'm always suspicious when suddenly the other half is waiting for SSD as well and it's usually for something like "back pain" because it seems to me that SSD is turning into the new PA for people who've run out of effing PA, but that's a post for another day.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Their means is $0.  Just by existing they are living above their means.  You should be telling them to get off their lazy stupid asses and get a friggen job or three.   But you see, that too is just a waste of time.  They choose to be poor and live shitty lives.  There's no amount of "information" you can give these people to make them do anything differently.  They like their lives this way.  

Just accept it.  They have.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Understandable. You're not the ones I'm talking about. Your df sounds like me. I worked 2 -3 jobs at a time from 13 to 27 when I got sick. Took about 2 years for me to come to terms with not working anymore. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank you and to help df has some thing wrong with hid leg that is a result of surgery to remove a lymph node the size of an orange from his groin. He tried to work after but the swelling got so bad he can barely walk. The docs think it is lymph fluid but are not sure. He is 42 and had a job of some sort since he was 16. He is not ok with this. But it was this or the loss of the leg. Which would still disabling. It sucks because he is sooooo stressed out over not working he has to go to therapy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:32 PM

But why should we accept it? There has to be some little speck of self respect in there somewhere. And the only reason I'm NOT telling them to get a job is because sometimes it IS cheaper for one parent to stay home, when they can't get a job that pays more than daycare and gas, so instead of using that as a lame assed excuse they need to learn to suck it the hell up and live WITHIN THEIR MEANS. Kay?

Quoting Anonymous:

Their means is $0.  Just by existing they are living above their means.  You should be telling them to get off their lazy stupid asses and get a friggen job or three.   But you see, that too is just a waste of time.  They choose to be poor and live shitty lives.  There's no amount of "information" you can give these people to make them do anything differently.  They like their lives this way.  

Just accept it.  They have.  

robibuni
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

In some cases, people DON'T need PA, but if they're eligible, they'll take it. Like my neighbors...the wife works under the table and they only claim one income so they're eligible for PA. It pisses me off...but she's convinced they're entitled to it and if you ask her, they're not "low income". That cracks me up.

I grew up on PA. My mom worked her butt off when we were growing up and we got a little food stamps (not too much). We didn't have any kind of insurance back then...state or private. We just prayed we didn't get sick. Once my grandma died, my mom got REALLY sick and couldn't work and fell into a deep depression and we got max food stamps, and my grandpa helped us out as much as he could. We were truly in need...but once my mom got better, she got a job and we were no longer in need.

I just wish people would use PA responsibly. The only time we ever used PA since I've been an adult was for a month when the company DH worked for went under and it took him another month to get a job. I was grateful it was there when we needed it, despite making DH feel like a loser.

Sucks that people abuse aide.

beatlelovermom
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
16 moms liked this
I just love how anyone on any kind of public assistance are lumped into one big worthless and trashy group.

To that I say stfu already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)