Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Alaska!!!

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 19 Replies
Has the most ghetto areas I have ever seen. It looks so beautiful there, then the state troopers have to go and show us the ghetto and disgusting side of Alaska. I never would have thought it looked like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Really? Wow, never knew that. Oh well, I still want to go on vacation there!
momsince04
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Well from what I saw on Alaska state troopers... It does look beautiful

Quoting Plus-size-mommy:

Really? Wow, never knew that. Oh well, I still want to go on vacation there!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM

isn't there a high incidence of native american or eskimo alcoholism? idk

FL2AK
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this
There are a couple bad areas in the larger cities. Understand though that what you see as ghetto is just normal living in the villages. We lived in a very nice home in an expensive neighborhood but still had a well and no garbage service.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Welcome to America...there are ghetto spots in every sate...I have tons of family in Alaska and none of them say anything about any ghetto-ness... I can't wait to visit there.

BluePandaDreams
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I have never noticed that stuff on that show. I just know I would love to go on vacation there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearbait
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I have lived in Kodiak, Sitka, Juneau and retired in Anchorage.  I don't remember Kodiak have any "ghetto areas, or Sitka for that matter.  Juneau and Anchorage both have lower income areas, but you also have to take in account that the weather does a number on the homes here.  Juneau is a rain forest and a vast majority of homes are wood, so it doesn't take long for houses look older than they are.  Juneau is the best place to learn never judge a home by the outside.

Anchorage has a couple of areas that I would not want to live in, but again long dark winters make things seem worst.  Winter is hard on wood building and most of the homes are again wood. I love my house and the views out my windows. I love moose, bear, eagles, fox, and a million small animals in my yard, the ravens not so much.

What makes good television, does not always match real life. 

chalisa0
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL.  I think the same thing when I watch that show.  I knew all about the alcohol problems with the Native villages, but I was really surprised to learn about the horrible drug problems, like heroin.  And that place is full of psychos.  I don't even want to ever go and visit now-and I have an aunt who lives there, and a ton of DH's family lives in Alaska.  He's always wanted to go visit.  I don't know if I'll ever go now.

momsince04
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM
I've seen alot of trailers on the show. Any time they go to a residence there alot of garbage, and just looks nasty on the outside. I'm just saying what I've seen on the show. I woul love to visit, but the trailers just look gross.
momsince04
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM
How could you not?? When they go to a residence all it usually is, is nasty trailers with garbage all around it

Quoting BluePandaDreams:

I have never noticed that stuff on that show. I just know I would love to go on vacation there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)