Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MY SITTER BAILED!!! **edit**

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 138 Replies

Ugh! Not the end of the world, but annoying none the less.

I just started my job in Nov. Before my first day I went through the school calendar with my sitter who happens to be a good friend. Shr confirmed she would be available and also able to watch them over the summer.

Well, spring break is 6 weeks away and she just sent me a text that she cannot watch them that week (7days total) ... that she had decided to take that week off to spend with her kids only.

Fine... whatever, but now she is pissed that I have now decided (because of spring break) to enroll my kids in a FT summer program because back up care is going to be harder for me to find over the summer... I cant have het taking off with such little notice.

WWYD?

I would just like to say...

1) I am new to my job so I have no vacation earned as of yet. I will not have vacation for a year.

2) I work for an advertising publication and Spring Break happens to be our deadline week. So no, I am not just able to ask for this week off. My expecations were made clear to me by my employer before I took the job, much like the expectations I have for my provider were made clear before she started HER job watching my children.

3) Screw the notice. She committed to watching my children that week. This "late" notice has prevented me from taking advantage of other programs that WERE available, but have since filled up for that week.

4) SAHM's need not answer if you are going to ASSume I have ample time to find someone to watch my kids. IF it was that easy I wouldn't not be so frustrated or stressed. period.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:59 PM
16 moms liked this

WWID about what?  I can sort of see why you did what you did.  It would suck for her to 'bail' on you again.  However, I don't see how 6 weeks advanced notice is bailing.  She has a life too and it sounds like she was trying to be responsible.

Ms.Pink.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
How is over a months notice too short?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iwilliams76
by Irene on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

6 weeks is plenty of notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I think that six weeks in advance is plenty of time.  It's not like she told you this week that she was going on vacation next week.  

I take my daughter to an in-home daycare and she is also closed for Spring Break.    Years ago I had my kids in another in-home daycare and they were always closed the week of July 4th.  It's actually a pretty common thing.

Saille717
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

She gave you six weeks notice.  

I hope it's not hard to find good sitters in your area, because it sounds like you're going to be looking soon. 

mommadana
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I've done that too.  I didn't because she kept bailing, it was because she told me in advance when she could not watch him because of doctor's appts and such and on top of that she, or her kids, would get contagiously ill and couldn't watch him.  Gotta love sharing germs and I knew it wasn't her fault.  I just couldn't keep finding baby sitters last minute and I knew that FT daycares wouldn't close just because one kid was sick, or wouldn't have a worker if they were sick, or one person decided to take a vacation with their child.  They have backup plans for this.  I like the knowledge beforehand that I don't need to find someone last minute or 2-5 weeks in advance.  Spring break is hard to find someone b/c everyone has the same idea.  Good luck!

jesistar6910
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

It would be bailing if she called you the night before spring break. The week before, even. But more than a month in advance is what most places of employment ask for when requesting a day off or vacation or whatever.

I don't think she is out of line. I think that maybe you took it the wrong way.

3gr8tKids
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Why is she upset?
two4one
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

SHe didn't bail, she gave you 6 weeks notice. Is her life suppossed to stop because she babysits your kids?

kryptomom
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:10 PM

You each gave each other plenty of time to make adjustments.  No harm done.

I don't agree with summer being harder to find back up help, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)