Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o - at what age are the old enough?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 32 Replies

what age do you consider a kid to be old enough for the following:

To be left home alone? How long?

To walk home from school alone?

To hang out with friends alone - go to the movies, library park etc?

I think kids now a days are way to babied.

IMO a child should be taught not to answer the door or phone to strangers or play with the stove at a very early age. Ds is 5years. I started leaving him up in the apartment alone for 5-10 minutes while i run to the corner mart, when he was about 4 years. Never more then 5 - 10 minutes.

Now that he is 5 years, if i need to do laundry at the laundrymat  on the corner, i am comfortable leaving him in the apartment alone for anywhere from 20 min to an hour. As long as i am withing the 4 corners of the 2 blocks that are on either side of the apartment. Im not comfortable with leaving him home for an hour if im far away yet. Maybe by 7 or so. By 8 def. He will have a key to the house by then and be allowed to walk home from school, thats a few blocks away, and let himself upstairs and wait for us to get home if we are running late for work. He will also be allowed to stay around the neighborhood and play outside by himself at this age as long as he comes home by dark and stays within ear shot of me - if i need to yell for him (maybe 2-4 blocks). By 10 -11 hes got full rein of the local neighborhood. He will have a cell phone by then. As long as he remains in the Heights area and comes home by dark im cool. Movies, arcade, mall with friends he can go by himself - if its too far away we will call a cab and have them dropped off and picked up. He will also be old enough in my book to be home alone if me and dh want to grab a movie or a bite to eat by our selves. a few hours. hell my sisters were baby sitting me when i was a baby when they were 11 and 8.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
It depends on maturity my son is 10 and I would leave him home alone before I leave my 12 yr old nephew home alone
atyou
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
3 moms liked this
Wait....what?

You leave your 5 year old home alone?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mcginnisc
by *Claire-Bear* on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Not at 5, that is for sure...we are in the burbs and nothing is within walking distance here. Of course, I'm also one of those people that refuse to give my kid a phone until they pay for it.. lol .... 

My is 10 and I pick her up after school on Wednesdays and take her home. She is by herself for an hour and then my BIL gets home from work. 

Walking to school would never happen as my kids' school is several miles away and they would have to cross busy roads as well as an interstate overpass to get there...and we don't have sidewalks here... <--- not happening. I will drive them until they have a car of their own and can drive as there is no bus for private school. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13 

CheesyKitty
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
The only time my child is out of earshot is when I am checking the mail. Never actually left my property with her alone in the home.

Won't be comfortable with that till almost double digits 8-9. And only 30min or so then.

As for walking home that will highly depend on how far school is. But still not til 8-9.
Josie_P
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

5 for being home alone? Did I read that correct? You know what could happen in those 20 minutes? Ya know what, your kid. But to answer your questions, my kids won't be left home alone until at least 12 or 13. We are not within walking distance of any schools so they will most likely always be driven to school. Hang out with friends, 13.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM
3 moms liked this

I think its effed up you leave your five year old home alone. 

seegrace
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I think it depends on the kid for sure.  Though honestly I think 5 is a bit young.  My son took the bus to school and walked home with a group of kids from the time he was 10 (city bus, not school bus).  But he didn't start doing movies, etc. with friends until about 12.  He is rarely, even now at 16, left alone in the house, but that's just because someone is always home.  I would have felt comfortable leaving him alone in the house for a couple hours around 10.  I dont think I'd ever feel OK leaving him alone for the night though LOL

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
1 mom liked this
This. Op thats illegal in quiteva few states

Quoting Josie_P:

5 for being home alone? Did I read that correct? You know what could happen in those 20 minutes? Ya know what, your kid. But to answer your questions, my kids won't be left home alone until at least 12 or 13. We are not within walking distance of any schools so they will most likely always be driven to school. Hang out with friends, 13.

gabeybaby07
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

yes. He knows not to answer the door to anyone - even if he knows them. only mommy or daddy -to knock on the neighbors door in case of an emergency, not to touch the stove - and that ill be back in a few. Im no more teh 150 feet away at the laundry mat. usually no more then 20-40 minutes at a time

Quoting atyou:

Wait....what?

.thatsme.
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:38 PM
Parent of the year right here!!!

Quoting gabeybaby07:

yes. He knows not to answer the door to anyone - even if he knows them. only mommy or daddy -to knock on the neighbors door in case of an emergency, not to touch the stove - and that ill be back in a few. Im no more teh 150 feet away at the laundry mat. usually no more then 20-40 minutes at a time

Quoting atyou:

Wait....what?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN