Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How do you feel about Valentine's Day?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mom Confession: I Freaking Hate Valentine's Day

Posted by Linda Sharps on February 5, 2013 

"Be mine." "Let's get wild together." "Hey, hot stuff." "You make my heart go pitter-pat." Jesus christ, children's Valentine's Day cards, how about you slow the heck down already? My kid's 7, he's not looking to get LAID. At the very least, he's not looking to seduce all 27 of his first grade classmates.

Okay, here's the thing: I don't like Valentine's Day. I know this isn't exactly a novel confession -- stop the presses, someone isn't a fan of Valentine's Day! Notify Godiva! Shut down Hallmark! Cancel the roses! -- but what I'm saying is that I really, really, really, REALLY don't like Valentine's Day now that I'm a parent.

For one thing, it's a giant pain in my butt. I have two little kids, both with a crap-ton of classmates, so that means I have to help make about FIFTY Valentine's cards each year. Even assuming I go the non-Pinterest route and buy a bunch of flimsy pre-made cards with Spider-Man on them or whatever -- which yeah, I am totally going to do that, because HELL NO to the idea of lovingly hand-crafting a giant pile of adorable creations with individually-purchased bubble wands or googly eyes or popsicle sticks that's just going to get jammed in the bottom of someone's backpack before being unceremoniously dumped in the trash at home -- this process takes forever. My preschooler can't even write worth a damn yet, people! Who's going to address his cards THAT'S RIGHT YOU'RE LOOKING AT HER.

Also, let's be real -- kids' Valentine's messages are often totally insincere. "You light up my life"? "You're someone I barely know but the school requires that I send a card to each of my classmates," more like. Or "You called me a baby on the playground once when I tripped and fell and at night I dream about you being eaten by rabid wolves but, you know, be mine."

Finally, I kind of don't get how Valentine's Day is totally acceptable and in fact pretty much a mandatory cultural event for little kids in school, but they're expressly forbidden from celebrating or even recognizing other holidays -- at least in the schools my kids have gone to. They can't wear a costume for Halloween, they don't sing Christmas carols, they don't learn about Thanksgiving. Who gave Valentine's Day a free pass on political correctness is what I want to know. Won't SOMEBODY think of the craft-challenged, black-hearted, lazy-ass parents???

How do you feel about Valentine's Day?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brittany208
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:46 PM
2 moms liked this

lol--you can object to religious holidays, but who wants to object to LOVE?? not me! i love valentines day as an adult and think its cute for kids!

sithmama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I got married on Valentine's Day. This one will be 11 years for us. I guess I like it a little.

SillySally83
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Valentines day is a religious holiday lol. St. Valentine, patron saint of love.

St. Valentine - Saints & Angels - Catholic Online

Quoting brittany208:

lol--you can object to religious holidays, but who wants to object to LOVE?? not me! i love valentines day as an adult and think its cute for kids!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm in it for the chocolate ;)
SillySally83
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We do not celebrate Vday; it was a religious day, then it became a secular money making day... I don't need a designated day to express love, we do that every day in our house.

BeautyFull
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

People get to excited or these single days! I prefer to be flattered 364 days out the year than just 1 day. 

Join: Health/Wealthy Mom

It does not matter where you are but where you are goin.      

~Tough times do not last, Tough people do!~

babyblue415
by champagne on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

love it

tifbrown
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm not fussy on it. I don't see a point in picking one day to let someone know how you feel. I would rather be caught off guard and surpised than have him do something because it's an obligation.

lovnmy3boys
by Paula on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Mostly just another day...

choaspartyof4
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Same here 

Quoting lovnmy3boys:

Mostly just another day...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN