Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why the need to label and medicate kids?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies

Parents these days seem very gungho on labelling our kids.  They oppositional defiant, no they are undisciplined and contrary.  They are adhd, no they are hyper and dont pay attention.  ect ect.

There are kids that have these issues Im sure! But I see so many times a parent having a behavioural problem reaching out for help on parenting sites and the first thing I see is "has he been assessed for a diagnosis, have you tried meds?"

WTF?  WHat happened to disciplining and teaching our kids how to behave?  Why are labels the first stop in parenting aresonals these days?

*again, please dont give a hundred replies of "well MY kid has this that and the other so what do you say about that?" I know some kids have issues, my point is, why is assuming the kid has some disorder the first thought these days?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilfishbigocean
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this
If you have a special needs child you would understand if not please move on to bashing pa or tax refunds
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I do have a special needs child actually.  And I do not bash PA or Tax Refunds.

Quoting Anonymous:

If you have a special needs child you would understand if not please move on to bashing pa or tax refunds

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Than you should understand its not all about discipline.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:31 PM

pharma has done a WONDERFUL job putting fear into parents that something is 'wrong' with their child, according to pharma standards...thus, the need to medicate, making lots of money for pharma....get the connection now?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:32 PM

You didnt read the post did you?

*again, please dont give a hundred replies of "well MY kid has this that and the other so what do you say about that?" I know some kids have issues, my point is, why is assuming the kid has some disorder the first thought these days?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I did read it. Have you not seen how the rates have gone up. There's more chemicals in foods that are causing these issues not just discipline

Quoting Anonymous:

*again, please dont give a hundred replies of "well MY kid has this that and the other so what do you say about that?" I know some kids have issues, my point is, why is assuming the kid has some disorder the first thought these days?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I should have been 'labelled' at a young age, but my father hated thinking there was anything wrong with me. I went through hell as a teenager simply because my father left it too late to get me the help I needed. Thankfully, I have strong will power, and fought my issues on my own two feet, but some people are not as strong as that, and need help that they are often not given.

It's not a matter of too many diagnosis, it's a matter of diagnosis the wrong child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I think you are missing my point entirely. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I did read it. Have you not seen how the rates have gone up. There's more chemicals in foods that are causing these issues not just discipline

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

LadySlimm
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I honestly believe these children are being overdiagnosed and over medicated. Some children do have behavoral issues that only meds can fix but for the most part things like sports, art, music, etc are great deterrents from bad behavior and is great for channelling energy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN