Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

anyone have experience with high blood pressure?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 33 Replies
so i went to the doc last week for a physical for school and i found out i have high blood pressure. i have been trying to lose weight like a maniac! i had been eating only veggies and working out 4 times a week and GAINED! anyway the dr put me on a water pill and i lost 5 pounds since friday. did the high blood pressure make me not able to lose weight or what? and yes i know the 5lbs is water i was retaining. so anyone have experience with this?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Follow up with your doctor, he may want to put you on a blood pressure lowering medication if your BP is still fluctuating.  Hypertension can have symptons and yet for some people hypertension can have no symptons whatsoever other than elevated readings, don't mess with it, follow up with your healthcare professional. 

NoahandEliza
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:45 PM
Hmm...I have high bp, but I've never had it make a difference with my weight. Your problem probably has more to do with gaining muscle and also, your body might just be storing it's fat because it isn't used to only healthy food yet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:46 PM

yes, i'm on water pills too, and lost a lot of water weight the first week...not so much after that tho...and i swear, the pills make my ears ring SO loudly, it's awful!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:47 PM
How high was it? Pre hypertension or hypertension? Lifestyle modification lady!
dragongirl1012
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

If it was only one high reading and the doctor only put you on a water pill, not a BP med, I wouldn't worry just yet. There are a lot of things that will make your BP temporarily high. Eating within 30 min of testing, smoking right before, salt, stress, and OTC meds. I would checking it every few days.

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
it was pretty high and i have a very healthy lifestyle. i watch what i eat, its mostly organic vegetables, i work out four times a week at least. thats why this is so confusing to me. high blood pressure runs in my family and i have known that so i try my best to be healthy.

Quoting Anonymous:

How high was it? Pre hypertension or hypertension? Lifestyle modification lady!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM
No, blood pressure doesn't affect your ability to lose weight. But being dehydrated affects your BP. And weight affects your BP. Most likely you are unable to lose weight for many reasons, dehydration being one of them. He put you on the pill for that.
stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM
i have been super stressed from school, having four kids and fighting with the boyfriend among the other stuff of daily life...i also have white coat anxiety the dr said lol

Quoting dragongirl1012:

If it was only one high reading and the doctor only put you on a water pill, not a BP med, I wouldn't worry just yet. There are a lot of things that will make your BP temporarily high. Eating within 30 min of testing, smoking right before, salt, stress, and OTC meds. I would checking it every few days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lilbit1153
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM

High blood pressure is nothing to fool around with. My mother went undiagnosed with high blood pressure and ended up on dialysis because both her kidneys failed.  The water pills are unlikely to reduce your blood pressure by much so stay on your doctor about the problem. Your future health and life my depend on it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)