Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You're willingly exposing your child, help me understand why *edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

Would you willingly let your child come into or inhale these chemicals?

• Cyanide
  • Benzene
  • Formaldehyde
  • Methanol (wood alcohol)
  • Acetylene (the fuel used in welding torches)
  • Ammonia

A normal person would say no, right? Why on earth would I let my child do something that could cause them harm or damage?

Well, thousands of parents do it everyday.

Willingly, when they choose to smoke around their child. Not bad enough you say? These are only a few of up to 7000 chemicals in cigarette and cigar smoke, including over 60 known to cause cancer. 

I know, its not my child, why should I care, right? Its their life, their child. You are correct. Im just trying to figure out why parents would do this and to possibly educate those who may not know, fully, what is in the smoke. This post is not about judgment, its about curiousity, trying to understand I suppose. It looks bad, yes, Ill get bashed, yes. But Im hoping somewhere in all of that, someone can help me understand. 

**This post is not meant to bash anyone. Im not looking for people definding themselves or what they do or to bash someone who does choose to. Im just looking for someone to tell me why they do such. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:54 PM
8 moms liked this

This just in - anon claims smoking is bad!

What a revelation!

next thing you know the surgeon general will print on every pack that it leads to CANCER!

unspecified42
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm sure we all expose our children to those things daily in other ways. I'm not a smoker and I think it's gross (I'm a former smoker), but I don't think this is a strong arguement against it because cigarettes aren't the only chemical-filled item in this world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica020410
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:55 PM
I don't understand it either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jessecutez
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:57 PM
And if you don't buy ALL organic your horrible too....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nickie143
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I don't understand it either. I let my son go stay with his father and step mother and when he comes home him and his stuff stinks!! I hate it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Half of those things are in vaccines, too. Get over it, hon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

You realize that stuff is in many things around us right?

Check your wood cabinets, many have formaldehyde in them.

nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I agree that smoking is bad, but I wouldn't go so far as to tell other people how to live their lives.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm sure we all expose our children to those things daily in other ways. I'm not a smoker and I think it's gross (I'm a former smoker), but I don't think this is a strong arguement against it because cigarettes aren't the only chemical-filled item in this world.

Im not trying to make an argument against it. People know its bad. People are not stupid. Just trying to understand. 

I, myself, am a smoker. I could never, knowingly, expose my child to the chemicals. That was my reasoning for not smoking around my child, that is why I used it. I would just like some insight on why others do. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

I smoke but I don't do it around my children.  I know one person who does smoke around her children, her 4 year old has asthma and I just don't understand why she does it.  It isn't that hard to go outside and then come in and wash your hands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN