Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm at a loss, SO is addicted to Tramadol. (Long, sorry)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 97 Replies

Four years ago my SO secretively went to a Dr for back pain and was prescribed Tramadol. The quack Dr never told him to do follow up appointments he just keeps his prescription full and doesn't care about what happens. Since then he has started ordering the pills from Canada and other random websites and taking 4+ per day every day for all of these years. I have begged him to stop, I take the pills from him and soak them in water then throw the bottle away, threaten that my daughter and I will leave him if he doesn't stop, look up treatment for Tramadol abuse, I've done everything I can think of! They've caused major health issues and minor health issues. We've been to the hospital twice for major seizures while he was taking the pills (he's never had health issues like this before the pills). He's restless when he sleeps since taking them, he jumps all night, he's started chewing on his hand while he sleeps, and when he doesn't have them he starts kicking in his sleep violently. I have lost my health do to these issues of his, I feel like I can't let him out of my sight because I watch him to make sure he isn't taking the pills, to make sure he isn't messaging or calling someone to send him pills, and to make sure he isn't having I seizure. I feel like I can't sleep anymore, I have a hard time taking care of myself and my child because I'm so tired all the time, and I've gained a lot of depression because I am going through this again! (My mom is a meth head, my dad an alcoholic, my sister smokes pills and injects drugs, and my brother smokes weed and drinks too much. I'm straight edge and I can't take being around this, it's completely against every part of me. 

I don't have people to talk to other than SO's family and don't want to out him to them yet I don't talk to my family for obvious reasons and I don't have any friends offline. I'm completely isolated with him and I just need to let this out and get some advice. What would you do if you were in my shoes? Stay with him because your child has a stable lifestyle (something you never had and want more than anything for your child), leave him so your child doesn't grow up thinking its ok to take pills all the time,or something I haven't thought of. I'm scared that I'm not as strong as I think I am and I don't want to suffer a breakdown. :(

Sorry if there are spelling or grammar errors, I'm venting and needing ideas and am a bit scattered inside.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Shaybay218
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Sorry moma..you are going thru this here's a hug!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Thank you. (((Hugs)))

Quoting Shaybay218:

Sorry moma..you are going thru this here's a hug!

angie729
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Nothing you say or do will make him get his act together and quit. Threats of leaving will do no good. Following him around the house and disposing of the pills will do no good to him. I would suggest looking up Al A Non in your area and going to their meetings...they can be very helpful. Also a book by Melanie Beaty Co Dependent No More is a great source of information and help in situations like this. Good luck..I wish you the best.

I dealt with these type problems for years with my ex. I finally left him...it was too much and not a safe environment for my boys.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
You're sure it's Tramadol??
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2891
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
2 moms liked this
Drag his a$$ to the ER and tell them to admit him for drug abuse. They can admit him for detox and then send him to a treatment facility. Then you need to find out the name of the idiot doctor that first prescribed the pills and report him to the state medical board. Your SO is going to eventually overdosing, whether accidental or intentional, and you might not be able to get him back from it. Hugs momma and I'm sorry you are going through this alone! I'm here if you need to talk or vent!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
When he kicks at night, he's in withdrawal. It sucks!!! Good luck he won't quit till he's ready. I'm on day 4 of cold turkey, it is hell but I'm alive.
Smcclellan7080
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Follow through with your threat to leave. You can't help a person who doesn't want to be helped. Or a person who will not admit they have a problem.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
3 moms liked this

Tramadol isn't a serious drug, it is like a glorified tylenol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Yeah,I look up the pill inscriptions every time I take them from him to make sure.

Quoting Aslen:

You're sure it's Tramadol??

LovemyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I would out him to caring family members. If they are not caring, forget it. You can go to groups like Al-anon and get help. What is the one for drugs? Crud, can't think of it. 

Basically, you cannot handle this on your own. You need help! Get it from his family member, or even better, a drug support group to show you what to do. Counselors can help find your dh help and give you answers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN