Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do I HAVE to send my son to preschool??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 67 Replies

DS is four. We haven't decided whether we're sending him to preschool this fall or not. We are above the level that qualifies for free preschool but we will have trouble paying the exorbitant preschool costs ourselves. He is of average intelligence I think, he knows his ABCs, can count to 50 or more, can spell his name and a few simple three or four letter words, is learning to write, and can dress himself and do other "big kid" things. What else would he learn in preschool that I haven't taught him at home? Is preschool necessary?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM
No, you don't have to.
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM

I don't think so. I did all the "preschool" stuff at home with my son. My daughter will be doing more preschool type activities too as she gets older.

alyssaravensmom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM
You don't have to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jynkx
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

i didnt send mine to pre-k, but i was teaching her that kind of stuff myself. 

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Preschool is more social preparation for kindergarten than academic. A few preschools will teach children to read and write and do basic math, but that's pretty rare.

Smcclellan7080
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM

In most places preschool is not required. I know where I am it's not. DS just turned 5 and will start kindergarten in August.

mamaelle88
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:05 PM
I sent my daughter, why? For social interaction. She went to nursery school when I worked and taught her beyond preschool level, she gets wonderful grades but they do teach things we don't think about. Like she has sciencr, social studies, gym glass, art, media, reading, math, and music glass and its great for her to get out of the house and socialize with the other children. :) plus it gets her out of my hair so I can spend one on one with my other child
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
4kids4tara
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Nope. None of my kids went and they do awesome in school. By the end of kindergarten no one can tell what kids went to preschool and what kids didn't. Three of my siblings are teachers, by the way.

do11face
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

no.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
There is so much more than learning basic stuff like abc's in preschool. It teaches them important social skills, motor skills, and helps get them ready for the type of behavior that is required in kinder. I always recommend preschool.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN