Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dog owners/experts please help!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Several months ago we adopted a mixed breed dog from a rescue. The dog was about 6 months old so I expected she'd need training. However, it's now 4 months later and we have gotten absolutely nowhere with potty training. She constantly soils her crate, and I do mean constantly. She uses the bathroom outside every time she goes out but still goes in her crate no matter how much she goes outside. I've tried everything. I've scrubbed the crate and surrounding area with vinegar and baking soda to neutralize any urine or fecal odor. I limit her food and water intake in the evening. At a trainer's suggestion I started giving her food, treats & toys in her crate to make it seem more den like. And anything else I could think of. Nothing works.

In 30 years of having dogs I have never seen one who just doesn't care a bit about soiling her crate and herself. She poops, pees then plops right down in it. As you can imagine she needs very frequent baths. The kids were so excited when we got her but now they don't even want to play with her because they're grossed out by how nasty she gets. I cannot keep her clean. This morning I gave her a bath, dh scrubbed her crate and the surrounding area. This was after she had thoroughly soiled the crate with a large amount of poop and pee and then been walked. I put her in the crate because we needed to take ds to school. Not 5 minutes later her crate was soiled and she was laying in it. We wake up every morning to a pee and poop filled crate. Every time we walk out the door, no matter for how long, we come back to a pee and poop filled crate. And a filthy, stinky dog. There's nothing physically wrong. I know it takes time for puppies to develop bladder control but at 10 months there should be some. It's almost as if she just doesn't give a damn. Yeah, I know some of you will think that sounds stupid. Anyway. I'm at my wits end with this. If there was some progress, I could handle an accident here and there. You expect that with animals, especially young ones. But this constant soiling is beyond frustrating. Dh is so fed up he wants to rehome her. He keeps saying it's disgusting and it's horrible to have this constant mess around the kids. And as much as I would like to disagree, he's right. This is so much worse than an accident or two here and there. I'm at the point where I'm thinking maybe he's right that we're not the right home for her. But it's sad because she is such a good dog otherwise. She's a total sweetheart, she loves the kids and everyone else, she's very calm etc.

So. I'm asking/pleading/begging for advice, suggestions, tips, a miracle cure, whatever. I don't want to rehome her, but we can't keep living with this.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tesserae
by Mrs.Mellark on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM

I'd give up on the crate and keep her outside. But really, in all honesty, I'd give her back to the rescue. I could not deal with all that filth.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

bump

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:09 PM

If you rule out a medical reason- I would send her to a trainer for a couple of weeks and see what they thought. GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Personally. and everyone will hate me for this, I would get rid of the dog.  Sell it, give it away, whatever.  That's too much work and not normal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM
It's too cold here and we're not allowed to have outside animals.

Quoting Tesserae:

I'd give up on the crate and keep her outside. But really, in all honesty, I'd give her back to the rescue. I could not deal with all that filth.

hudson.maggie
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:10 PM
How big is her crate and how big is she? Alot of dogs won't pee or poo in their cage if its only big enough for them to lay in it (an of course turn).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Probably a puppy mill dog and thus it's normal to sit in her own soil. I would go to the vet to get her checked for possible UTI/worm issues.

You need to put her on a schedule and tether her to you. When she's tethered to you you'll be right there to catch her and put her outside. Remember not to punish her for accidents or she'll just start hiding them from you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM
Thanks. No medical issues. That I could understand and there would most likely be a fix or something to help.

Quoting happinessforyou:

If you rule out a medical reason- I would send her to a trainer for a couple of weeks and see what they thought. GL

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM
Yep. It's appropriate size. Ruled that out too.

Quoting hudson.maggie:

How big is her crate and how big is she? Alot of dogs won't pee or poo in their cage if its only big enough for them to lay in it (an of course turn).
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

A stay at a training facility might be expensive in the short-term, but if they can help with this you will have years of happiness! GL

Quoting Anonymous:

Thanks. No medical issues. That I could understand and there would most likely be a fix or something to help.

Quoting happinessforyou:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)