Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would YOU let your 16/17yr old do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you let your underage teen get a tattoo?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

I know that people can parent their kids the way they want, okay but seriously I sometimes wonder about a lapse in judgement.  Especially the whole, "I'm trying to be my kids friend rather than parent them because I don't want them to hate me" thing...

Okay so, my SIL is 16, will be 17 in a few weeks.  My MIL is taking her to get a tattoo.  WTH did I just miss?  I didn't even know it was legal to do!  Permission or not I thought you had to be 18...Obviously not.

I am all for tattoos, I have 5.  With that being said I would NEVER take my under age child to get a tattoo.  Why not tell her to think on it and take her for her 18th birthday when she can get it without permission? Maybe it's just me but I think it's insane.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Replies (11-20):
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM
For a 17th birthday, yes I would take my DD for her 1st tattoo.

My dad took me for mine on my 17th birthday and at 25 I still love it.

I wouldn't allow it before 17 though, but would take for piercings at 16.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mich.el.le
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Hell to the no. I wouldnt even want my 18 year old getting one (maybe a little one) and I love tats.

kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM

I said maybe, because it would really depend what they wanted to get and why. Just for fun? No. If someone very close to them passed away I would allow a small memorial tattoo that could easily be covered.

BAMFSFW
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

A bunk tattoo on spring break from a nobody artist that hell regret in 10 years - No. A family (or bad-ass) tattoo from a respectable artist were friends with (preferably my husbands artist) - yes. 

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Nah.  but I'd pay for them to get one for their 18th birthday.

That's kind of a rite-of-passage thing.

Hi_Rae
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM
It would depend on what it was, and they would have to wait and really think about it for at least 6 months. The youngest I would let them do it would be 17. I had to wait until I was 18 to get my first tattoo and pay for it myself.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RobsPrincess24
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I love tattoos. I have 3 and am planning more. However, I would not take an underage child to get one. SD wants matching ones. I told her when she turned 18 we would get them. She is bummed, but she doesn't need something permanent on her body at 15. BM told SD when she comes to visit, they will go get one. DH and I will be having a chat with BM before we send her out.

aeroslove
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

omg really? who cares. its not like shes 5! 16 and 17 is a good time to get a tatt. my husband got his first tatt i think at 17. his parents are his parents. they are open and honest and do not become their best friends. they are laid back. i dont see the problem nor with piercings.

ilovemyboys84
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

maybe...my nephew got one at 17 as a memorial to his bestfriend who comitted suicide

Saille717
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM

At least here in New York state it is illegal.  It used to be that if you were under 18 you had to have a parent with you, but now the law states that nobody under the age of 18 can get a tattoo or certain body piercings, even with parental permission.  The tattoo artist can go to jail.  and I know that they stick to it -- I have a cousin who took her 17 year old to get one and her guy wouldn't touch him.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured