Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would YOU let your 16/17yr old do this?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Would you let your underage teen get a tattoo?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 229

View Results

I know that people can parent their kids the way they want, okay but seriously I sometimes wonder about a lapse in judgement.  Especially the whole, "I'm trying to be my kids friend rather than parent them because I don't want them to hate me" thing...

Okay so, my SIL is 16, will be 17 in a few weeks.  My MIL is taking her to get a tattoo.  WTH did I just miss?  I didn't even know it was legal to do!  Permission or not I thought you had to be 18...Obviously not.

I am all for tattoos, I have 5.  With that being said I would NEVER take my under age child to get a tattoo.  Why not tell her to think on it and take her for her 18th birthday when she can get it without permission? Maybe it's just me but I think it's insane.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Replies (81-87):
mom2bell
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM
No I would never allow that. At 18 thy are free to get what the want. I have tattoos and have nothin against them (obviously).
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM
1 mom liked this
You needed another choice for "Hell, no!"
Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

My daughter got one for her 18th bday. She was very picky about who did the tat and wanted a specific artist who only had an appointment either 3 weeks before her bday or a month after. So I said ok and signed. I hated it then, still do.  Fast forward 5 year; this year she asked for another one for Christmas and I said "Not with my money, if you want it you pay."  She got another one. Hate that one too.

michiganmom5150
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
I just think that's too young to make a decision that permanent. I'm all for them and had quite a few piercings before 18, but I also know 2 are now out. You change your mind a lot in those years.
Allie_kat1
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Depends on what tattoo they are wanting and why. A tramp stamp because they think its cute, no. A memorial tattoo for a family member or close friend, i would prolly be ok with.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Yeah. I would, given it was a reputable tattoo parlor and they weren't getting "Fuck life" tattooed across their chest. Lol
egyptian_mommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Depends on what it was and what the reasons were. Something like a memorial tattoo, sure.

I had a friend who got her first tattoo at 13. Her mother took her. A few years later she got another. She also dropped out of hs, went for her GED and moved by herself 6 hours away. She was pregnant by the time our class graduated. She had her dd at 18. In her case, it's good that she lived and experienced things young because she died at 20. Her body slowly gave up after the birth of her dd and she spent those 2 years in and out of the hospital.

Guess that got off topic but the post reminded me of her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN