Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there anything I can do :/

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies
About the stench of my neighbors pot filtering through my vents? I just got home from picking up Dds meds. SHE noticed the smell first lol. As soon as we walked in, my entire house smelled like pot. She covered her nose and asked why it smelled that way. I've turned on the air purifier and lit some odor absorbing candles. Opened the doors to let it air out and talked to the manager. All I said was, "I'm assuming one of my neighbors smokes pot inside their unit, which is their prerogative but I don't feel it's fair to have MY home smell like it." She said she knows, but she doesn't have a policy against smoking inside the units, so all she can all them to do is crack a door next time! Really? It's obvious now that I think about it which unit it's coming from bc one isn't even home. If she is going to allow them to smoke and it keeps filtering my home.....what can I do? Call the cops since it's illegal? If they stop smoking pot inside but continue with cigarettes, is there any code violation I can call about?? Aren't we all given the right to live in peace? Having my home smell like smoke with young asthmatic kids isn't what I pay rent for.
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:03 PM
Bump?
oboe_chik
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM
the pot you can call an anomonyous tip line and report suspected drug activity. As far as cigs no theres probably nothing you can do...one of the downfalls of living in an apt. They have as much right to use their apt for what they want as you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM
So my kids have to be subjected to a toxin that is detrimental to their health? Then I'm gonna contact a lawyer about breaking lease bc she should have mentioned she allows smoking and with the poor ventilation system my home will fill with their stench. That's BS.

Quoting oboe_chik:

the pot you can call an anomonyous tip line and report suspected drug activity. As far as cigs no theres probably nothing you can do...one of the downfalls of living in an apt. They have as much right to use their apt for what they want as you do.
DKk0531
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Me and dd were evicted one time for complaining about pot in apt 1 next to us. Even the cops couldnt come into our house because the smell was so strong. No they didnt have a medical marijuana card. But because we complained we were evicted. Total bullshit
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Why do you need a lawyer to break your lease?You can break it without one. Sorry but this isn't grounds to break a lease without having to pay the penalty fees. The lease does not say there's no smoking in the units so you shouldn't have assumed. Its not her responsibility as a landlord to tell you that smoking is allowed, you shouldn't have assumed, being that your dd is asthmatic, this is something you should have thought to ask. There are filters you can put over or in the vents, I'm not sure where you get them or the brand, but my aunt use to get them when she was in an apt with shared venting. Also try talking to the landlord, explain your dd's situation and ask if she'd consider letting you break your lease. She might be willing to allow you to move without paying the penalty, some landlords will if you talk to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Lease actually does say smoking isn't permitted.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you need a lawyer to break your lease?You can break it without one. Sorry but this isn't grounds to break a lease without having to pay the penalty fees. The lease does not say there's no smoking in the units so you shouldn't have assumed. Its not her responsibility as a landlord to tell you that smoking is allowed, you shouldn't have assumed, being that your dd is asthmatic, this is something you should have thought to ask. There are filters you can put over or in the vents, I'm not sure where you get them or the brand, but my aunt use to get them when she was in an apt with shared venting. Also try talking to the landlord, explain your dd's situation and ask if she'd consider letting you break your lease. She might be willing to allow you to move without paying the penalty, some landlords will if you talk to them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM
Then you should have no problem breaking it. I probably would consult a lawyer just to make sure that there are no hitches, but honestly it seems if she's allowing smoking in units that are non smoking, then she broke the lease.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lease actually does say smoking isn't permitted.

Quoting Anonymous:

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:40 PM
Most leases have something in there about illegal activity. Call the cops on them. Request a visit from the officer when he comes out and explain to him you don't want to be second hand smoking an illegal substance and to please make note that he visited your neighbors. Then have the apartment manager call the police dept and request a copy of the paperwork the police fill out. Enough times and the pot smokers can be evicted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Call the police.  Tell them that someone is smoking pot and it's leeching into your apartment.

oboe_chik
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:53 PM
why is it bs? Just because you dont think its something you think they should be doing? ill tell you how court will go...you will find out as long as its not specified in their lease they cant smoke then they are free to smoke all they want...then they will ask you why if you have a daughter who is asmatic why you didnt ask what their smoking policy was in the first place...and youve lost your case and have to pay their attorney costs and the rest of your lease out. If you dont like it honestly your going to have to move...does it suck? Yeah...am i trying to be a bitch? No..what it comes down to is you cant tell people what to do in their homes as long as the person who own the property say they can do whatever. My suggestion is finish the lease and move.

Quoting Anonymous:

So my kids have to be subjected to a toxin that is detrimental to their health? Then I'm gonna contact a lawyer about breaking lease bc she should have mentioned she allows smoking and with the poor ventilation system my home will fill with their stench. That's BS.

Quoting oboe_chik:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN