Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Bystander Effect

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM
  • 60 Replies

The bystander effect states that if someone is in need of help, their chances of getting help decreases when the number of people increases. The most famous of which is Kitty Genovese.

So let's say you and a large group of people see someone get stabbed and lays dying, how likely do you think you would be to help?What if you had you children with you?

What about if it was an animal that needed your help? Say someone is beating their dog, how likely would you be to help?

There have been many examples of this happening in real life where someone is dying, and no one helps them.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kayla4507
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would do everything I could to help someone else. I could never just watch someone lay there in pain, bleeding, knowing I could help. I would feel just as guilty as the person who stabbed them if i just watched them die. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I think I would most definitely help them. The only thing that might would stop me is if the attacker was standing there with the knife and threatening to hurt anyone who helps...

StrangeDays
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this, though I'm not sure if the "stabber" would actually feel guilt.

Quoting kayla4507:

I would do everything I could to help someone else. I could never just watch someone lay there in pain, bleeding, knowing I could help. I would feel just as guilty as the person who stabbed them if i just watched them die. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM
As a nurse I have a moral and ethical obligation to help, but I know that with more people around some exprect another to be the one to help.
harehelper
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I would help, for sure.

bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:31 PM

I have always been told (and maybe its just a canadian thing) that if you have any sort or first aid/medical training you are required to help unless it posesses a danger to you or you are asked by the injured person to not assist. I think -and am very unsure about it- that you could get charged criminally for not helping. but again, not sure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM
It's called the Good Samaritan rule. If you choose to help someone and something goes wrong, you can be held liable.
Hippie.Gypsy
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

I would like to think that 1) I would be quick enough to knock the sob with the knife out and 2) apply pressure and hold until emergency services arrived...if by some freaking bad luck it happened in the middle of nowhere (out in the woods or desert or something where help could not get fast enough)... I would ask for the nearest bottle of booze someone had and/or clean water, pour that on the wound to help sanitize it, then hope we had a fire going already, hope others were willing to hold the victim down, and cauterize the wound to keep them from bleeding out until help arrived.

gemikris82
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 PM

i suck at reacting understress.  i have to be told what to do   i panic

kitchen.ninja
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:33 PM
I would! I actually helped someone who had been stabbed before. I also pushed a friend out of the way when a car almost hit her. Luckily the car hit its brakes and ended up tapping me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)