Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The bystander effect states that if someone is in need of help, their chances of getting help decreases when the number of people increases. The most famous of which is Kitty Genovese.

So let's say you and a large group of people see someone get stabbed and lays dying, how likely do you think you would be to help?What if you had you children with you?

What about if it was an animal that needed your help? Say someone is beating their dog, how likely would you be to help?

There have been many examples of this happening in real life where someone is dying, and no one helps them.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM
Replies (51-60):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

If someone got stabbed in front of me I dont know if I would help but if someone was beating their dog I would

ChanellesMommy
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:06 AM
I'm one of those people who naturally reacts to what's going on around me. I've actually saved a couple of people in my life I could never stand around not doing anything knowing that someone is hurt or suffering.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
horseap
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Quoting kayla4507:

I would do everything I could to help someone else. I could never just watch someone lay there in pain, bleeding, knowing I could help. I would feel just as guilty as the person who stabbed them if i just watched them die. 

This exactly!  The only thing that would slow me down would be making sure my children were safe first.  I dont get how you COULDNT help someone. I offer help to people in wheel chairs or who you can just TELL cant reach what they are trying to get in the store.  I dont care if I look like an ass and they have a grabber or someone to help them, its how you SHOULD act.  No questions asked!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
mrssummerlin
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM
Person or animal, kids or no, I would everything I could to help.

I've always been like that.
MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah,i completely disagree and will leave it at that.

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

not worthless but not as worthy as humans.

I have pets and have always. I love animals but it is different.

animals are below humans. I realize others disagree but that is my stance.

It is different.

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

its an animal so its life is worthless?

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

its an animal.

driving down the road I see an animal I dont stop.

however if I were to see a human I would stop. at the very least call someone to go check it out.

Quoting MyGirlsAbbyLiz:

why not so much for animals?

Quoting me-n-mygirls:

I would.

I have!

for people...animals not so much. I may call someone but prolly do nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM
I'll call the police. I am not going to physically get involved.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Quoting horseap:

so you get to decide how people should act?! Outside of calling 911 I wouldn't do anything. Very few people are worth the chance of getting hurt or worse to get involved.
mojogirl
by Alice Liddell on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Your question is flawed.  Of course, everyone is going to say they'd do whatever they could to help.  However, the studies show time and time again that, when push comes to shove, most don't.

MyGirlsAbbyLiz
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM
Yeah i know what the studies show.

Quoting mojogirl:

Your question is flawed.  Of course, everyone is going to say they'd do whatever they could to help.  However, the studies show time and time again that, when push comes to shove, most don't.

horseap
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:39 PM
LOL You're funny, sitting there thinking I'll fight with you:)

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting horseap:

so you get to decide how people should act?! Outside of calling 911 I wouldn't do anything. Very few people are worth the chance of getting hurt or worse to get involved.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)