Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any vegetarian moms that can help me? (kid wont eat meat)

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
  • 36 Replies

My son hates meat, the texture makes him gag, the taste is offputting and he is not confortable with where it comes from.

I have a rule of you eat what I make or starve, but in this case I dont think it works.  He is really not ok eating it.

I'm worried about his health.  I don't know how to cook healthy vegetarian meals, mostly just junky kinda foods.  

Any help?

We are on a low budget for food as well, I have $50/week for the 2 of us.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Emmakins84
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:50 PM
My son will only eat chicken, and that's if he wants to. He's only two, so its probably just a phase. I was, and still am, a picky eater. As long as he eats fruits and veggies, and drinks milk, I'm happy. I've mentioned it to his pediatrician, and he says to keep trying and be patient. How old is your son?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM

He's 7.  This has been ongoing since he started eating solids.  From day one he has hated meat and recently he learned where meat comes from making it a battle that I think is pointless.

I would rather compromise and cook food he enjoys that has the vitamins ect that he needs.

Quoting Emmakins84:

My son will only eat chicken, and that's if he wants to. He's only two, so its probably just a phase. I was, and still am, a picky eater. As long as he eats fruits and veggies, and drinks milk, I'm happy. I've mentioned it to his pediatrician, and he says to keep trying and be patient. How old is your son?

ardiaxe
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Does he drink milk and eat eggs?  If so he will be just fine.  If he doesn't like he texture, try finely sliced lunch meat.  I'm a vegetarian, but my kids are not.  They love lunch meat, or the Gerber hotdogs that are very soft.  You can buy a high protein pasta that is budget friendly such as barilla.  you can add in a flinstone daily vitamin to be sure he is getting the iron.  Good luck!  I stopped eating meat at the age of nine and never went back.

flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

thank you!

Yes, he does drink milk daily, and we go through about 12 eggs a week between the 2 of us.  I will add the vitimins.

Quoting ardiaxe:

Does he drink milk and eat eggs?  If so he will be just fine.  If he doesn't like he texture, try finely sliced lunch meat.  I'm a vegetarian, but my kids are not.  They love lunch meat, or the Gerber hotdogs that are very soft.  You can buy a high protein pasta that is budget friendly such as barilla.  you can add in a flinstone daily vitamin to be sure he is getting the iron.  Good luck!  I stopped eating meat at the age of nine and never went back.

ImNotKarl
by Also Not Paul on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:01 PM
2 moms liked this

My son hates meat. I can get him to eat eggs sometimes, but not often. I've started making beans for a lot of meals, we snack on nuts and roasted chick peas, and he eats a lot of peanut butter and Nutella. He's only 2, and I try to get him to eat two bites of meat at every meal where it's present, but he seriously can't stand it. I have a lot of cheap, meat-free recipes if you want some.

Try black bean burgers. They are tasty and pretty inexpensive. Mushrooms also have a lot of protein and minerals.

Emmakins84
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Absolutely. I wouldn't force him either. Look up some recipes online. I'm not a vegetarian, so I wouldn't know how to help. Ask his pediatrician, maybe he can refer you to a nutritionist.

Quoting flowersbane:

He's 7.  This has been ongoing since he started eating solids.  From day one he has hated meat and recently he learned where meat comes from making it a battle that I think is pointless.

I would rather compromise and cook food he enjoys that has the vitamins ect that he needs.

Quoting Emmakins84:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

A nutritionist is a good idea :)

Quoting Emmakins84:

Absolutely. I wouldn't force him either. Look up some recipes online. I'm not a vegetarian, so I wouldn't know how to help. Ask his pediatrician, maybe he can refer you to a nutritionist.

Quoting flowersbane:

Quoting Emmakins84:

balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids love beans, tofu, and a product called Quorn, it's protein from mushrooms. The "chicken" nuggets are really juicy. We also get the fake "beef" grounds and make chili.

Cheese and beans are other good sources for protein. You could also get a protein mix and put it his milk a couple of times a week. DH does this on Sundays when we have smoothies for breakfast.

flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I'll look up quorn.  Ive tried making tofu, im terrible at it...Plus I dont really know what exactly to do with it?

I will definately try soy "beef" for chili and spaghetti.  Thanks!

Quoting balagan_imma:

My kids love beans, tofu, and a product called Quorn, it's protein from mushrooms. The "chicken" nuggets are really juicy. We also get the fake "beef" grounds and make chili.

Cheese and beans are other good sources for protein. You could also get a protein mix and put it his milk a couple of times a week. DH does this on Sundays when we have smoothies for breakfast.

ripemango
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
2 moms liked this

rice n beans = really cheap

frozen veggies are often cheaper than canned, taste better, better for you. good not pricey kinds are green beans, limas, brocolli, squash, etc

buy dried beans: black, pinto, chickpeas, northern, butter.

get comfortable w this site:

happyherbivore.com

great stuff here too:

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/

there are also vegetarian groups on CM. join!

black bean and sweet potato burritos are amazing and cheap. they can be frozen and reheated too. quesadillas w veggies thrown in or not. tortillas aren't too expensive. veggies soups are quite filling esp w cornbread...also cheap. all of those beans i mentioned can be transformed into patties (like burgers) or falafels. again all very cheap! beans and cornbread are a great meal. for dinner i had succotash w cornbread. succotash is limas stewed in tomatoes, onion, corn, and a touch of vinegar. crazy cheap, and a fav meal of mine!

here is a recipe i love for sanwiches:

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/external/Cucumber-and-Tomato-Sandwich-with-Garlic-White-Bean-Hummus-Food-Network-286875

cucumber and tomatoes are just ideas, any other kind of vegs work great here too.

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)