Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Smoking Rooms & Infants/Children

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 40 Replies

There have been quite a few posts about pregnant women/parents smoking lately and I was just curious on a different aspect.

Just to be clear, I think pregnant women have the right to smoke even though I don't think it's healthy and I know that some do quit slowly during pregnant.

My question is secondhand smoke has been proven to cause cancer and other healthy problem for adults and children of all ages.

Why is it legal for hotels allow people with infants and children to rent smokng rooms? After high school I took a job cleaning hotel rooms to supplement my income in the summers, and I can't tell you how many times that I would clean smoking rooms that would have dirty diapers everywhere, children's clothes and would have booze spilled and cigarette ashes everywhere...

This is one thing that makes no sense to me. 

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

because there is always that 1 parent that doesnt want to give up smoking and will actually watch their child

CatherineNewton
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
... They still have smoking rooms? I didn't know that.. New yorker here....
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yes, at least where I live. You don't there?

Quoting CatherineNewton:

joyfullem
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Because everyone has the right to smoke and just becuase they are renting a smoking room does not mean they are smoking at some hotels they are cheaper.  If they smoke with their kids at home why would it be up to the hotel staff to allow or not allow the same behavior at a hotel?  For the record I am not a smoker and hate it especially around kids but it is a RIGHT

CatherineNewton
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM
public places in new York are smoke free... Hotels, bars, restaurants. Ect. Its a law

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatherineNewton:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I believe that smoking is a right, my husband even smokes. However, I don't see why there isn't a law about smoking around your children? I mean if your child turns 19 it is their right to smoke or not, but I don't think it's fair to put a child to put a child who doesn't have rights yet in that position, and to put them at risk.....it just doesn't make sense to me?

Quoting joyfullem:

Because everyone has the right to smoke and just becuase they are renting a smoking room does not mean they are smoking at some hotels they are cheaper.  If they smoke with their kids at home why would it be up to the hotel staff to allow or not allow the same behavior at a hotel?  For the record I am not a smoker and hate it especially around kids but it is a RIGHT

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I see. Well here the hospital and some workplaces are smoke free but some of the hotels still have smoking rooms and two of the four bars still allow smoking. 

Quoting CatherineNewton:

public places in new York are smoke free... Hotels, bars, restaurants. Ect. Its a law

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting CatherineNewton:

Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Most hotels in my area don't even offer smoking rooms anymore.  It's illegal to smoke indoors in the entire state - In public places that is.  

MamaPeanut
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:10 PM
Because there will ways be selfish people who don't care if they make their children sick or give them cancer, so long as they can have their precious cigarettes.
autiemama516
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Something else that makes no sense. Half of the time we go away and ask for a non smoking room it always smells of cigarettes. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN