Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Made fun of for being white....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 69 Replies
I don't even know where to begin.....
I live in a very densely populated hispanic city.
I work with a lot of hispanic people. It's never been a problem.
But today for some reason skin color came up. I was literally the only "white person" on shift at the time. The people I work with started saying "o yea, christy of the only white person that works here, that would suck"
Then someone else said "it would suck to be white, period. I love my beautiful brown skin"
And that's where it took off
They kept saying hurtful things like "it sucks to be white", "why don't you ever get some sun?", and even "you are TOO white"
It was all fun and games to them, but it hurt my feelings.
I think what hurt me the most is the fact that, yes, many of our clients do not speak english. So i went out and learned spanish. I am actually very proud of myself. But they started mocking me that I speak spanish so "white" and they started speaking spanish the way I supposedly do.
I finally put my foot down and told them they were being inappropriate and to stop when the interns started in on it, too.
I just thought "really? who do you think you are?"

I just had to vent. I tried to show them that it didn't bother me.
But it actually hurt my feelings....a lot. I would never do that to someone. I felt like I was being ganged up on.
:-(
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sasha-
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:21 PM

You were being ganged up on, it has happened to me before, yea it hurts but really you just need to blow it off, if you make a big deal out of it it will only get worse.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
My SO says I should go to human resources. But I think that will just give them more ammo :-(

Quoting Sasha-:

You were being ganged up on, it has happened to me before, yea it hurts but really you just need to blow it off, if you make a big deal out of it it will only get worse.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Litlmama87
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:22 PM
6 moms liked this
Don't let it get you down, ese
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM

I was the only white employee at head start (migrant council) that I taught at. They treated me very well though.  But I didn't like it when they talked in Spanish in front of me.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Lol. I'm trying not to. But....it's been bothering me.

Quoting Litlmama87:

Don't let it get you down, ese
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM
1 mom liked this

It's insecurity. They  want to bring up anything they can think of to make you feel bad and feel better about their sad selves.

lucaslexie
Go to HR!!
girlywifey
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I would go to HR just so it is documented.

armstrong7984
2 moms liked this

ya i lived in a mexican community for 6 months, and it was 6 months of living hell. I could write a book on what i had lived day to day and experienced. And they say that white folks are the racist ones. LMAO seems to me that every race is more racist towards me than i could ever be toward them.

PerfectVirgo
Don't worry about it. In the grand scheme of life, what they think of you means nothing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)