Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Who takes care of the pets in your household?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

My husband and I recently moved from our apartment into a house. I have had a bird and a fishtank for years but when we moved hubby asked me if we could get an animal that he would enjoy, like a dog or a cat. We talked about it and agreed to get a kitten. He went on craigslist and answered one of those "free to good home" kind of ads and got a kitten. A few days later he went grocery shopping and came home with another. We decided I would clean the litter box in the morning and he would do it in the evening and empty it once a week. That lasted about 3 weeks and he started getting pissed when I would ask him to do it. He would eventually do it but got pretty mad at me for "nagging." I decided it wasn't worth it and started doing it myself. Then he got a puppy. Guess who takes care of the puppy? Yup. Me. I feed him, walk him and scoop his poop out of the yard every day. I also made sure the puppy and the kittens got their shots and got "fixed," which wasn't exactly cheap. Well, to make a long story short, I'm sick of it. I never really wanted all these animals to begin with and now I am forced to spend hours every day taking care of them! Hubby insists its my job because I am a stahm Mom and he refuses to do anything!

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:28 PM

You need to sit him down and have a talk. You need to explain all of this to him about how you feel. You also need to put your foot down that there will be no new animals from here on out and that you will be rehoming any more animals he brings home unannounced like that. 

Daph2387
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM
My hubbs takes care of the snakes, and I take care of the bearded dragon, fish, and Chinchilla! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Oh no that would not be okay with me at all. We have 2 dogs and he does the nails, ears, baths when needed and cleans up the yard. I take them to the vet if need be and who ever is home or awake at feeding time takes care of it. The kids play with the lab a lot in the yard and our beagle is so old all he does is eat, poop, and sleep now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I have spoken with him, but he insists its my responsibility. I'm so sick of scooping poop all day!

Quoting FoxFire363:

You need to sit him down and have a talk. You need to explain all of this to him about how you feel. You also need to put your foot down that there will be no new animals from here on out and that you will be rehoming any more animals he brings home unannounced like that. 

tifbrown
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I take care of the dogs and fish. I'm home all the time and my doggy keeps me good company.

FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Then tell him that you agreed to the first cat only, and you agreed to it being a shared responsibility in the first place. Therefore you will be rehoming the puppy and the second cat. Then do so. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have spoken with him, but he insists its my responsibility. I'm so sick of scooping poop all day!

Quoting FoxFire363:

CampClan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I don't have an SO or DH at the moment- just 5 kids. But we ALL take care of the dog. I wanted him & we went to the local shelter & picked out our guy. We all let him outside, we all bath him, we all feed him, we all play with him. Of course since my kids aren't old enough yet- I will be the one making sure he is up to date on his shots.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kikibix
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:35 PM

I make the decisions when it comes to gettiing a pet or not so I take full responsiblilty. Everyone else does help out but in the end it's up to me.   In your case OP, since he is the one bringing the pets home, he should be the one doing the majority of the work involved.  It's not fair to dump these chores on you when you did not make the decision to have a pet or in this case pets.

kayla4507
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I would tell him, if he wanted them, he can help take care of them or get ride of them.

I have two dogs. My son, who is 5, is in charge of making sure they're feed and watered. He does it everyday, usually without prompting. On nice days, hes also in charge of making sure our Aussie is brushed, otherwise I do it. I also let them out to potty, though my roommate lets them out when Im at work. 

Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Eff that.

You have deeper issues than just the pet care if he thinks it's your "job".  I do everything because it just works that way, but mine does not EXPECT it.  And he'll l;et the dog out or fill an empty bowl or whatever from time to time, more if I ask.

Seriously, not okay.  How many children do you have, and how small are they?  You don't have to answer, but little kids are so much work in and of themselves that adding pet care really is SO MUCH.  We have two cats, a tiny dog and two pet rats, and I used to have a fishtank.  I get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)