Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you make of this?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM
  • 59 Replies
I was driving earlier this evening with my 3 kids in the back. We were listening to their favorite CD and having a good time when literally all of the sudden my 5yo dd started bawling. Like, beside herself hysterically crying. I turned the music off and said "What happened, babe?" (thinking she somehow hurt herself.) She replied (barely understandable because of the crying) "I just got a picture in my head that I'm going to lose you and never see you again!!" I said "What do you mean? I'm not going anywhere." She said "You're either going to get in a car crash and die or somebody is going to kidnap me, but either way I'll never see you again." I tried reassuring her that everyone was going to be alright and she wouldn't lose me, but she cried hysterically for about 30 minutes and couldn't be consoled. She was/is determined that something terrible is going to happen.

What would you make of this if it was your kid? I'm seriously freaked out by it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

ONe time thing? No big deal.  Well, crappy and awful, but whatever.

If she seemed to be anxious otherwise, though, or if it kept happening, I would probably take mine to see a counselor.  Kids can absolutely have anxiety disorders just like grown people can. :/

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Poor kid. Maybe she saw something on tv that scared her and it is sticking it out in her mind.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Huh. Has she seen or heard anything like that lately? I would talk to her pediatrician. She might have anxiety issues.

slw123
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM

My daughter used to do the same thing when she was that age.  They are just so attached to us at that age and they are learning about death and it's scary to think about.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Well, ironic thing about it is that we were on our way to the counselors office. She has a lot of anxiety and mood problems. I told the counselor about it when we got there.

Quoting Redwoods_Mama:

ONe time thing? No big deal.  Well, crappy and awful, but whatever.

If she seemed to be anxious otherwise, though, or if it kept happening, I would probably take mine to see a counselor.  Kids can absolutely have anxiety disorders just like grown people can. :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I wondered about that. She did see the news coverage of the little boy taken hostage from the school bus. I wonder if that has her freaked out.

Quoting Anonymous:

Poor kid. Maybe she saw something on tv that scared her and it is sticking it out in her mind.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Val99
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would drive more carefully over the next few days.

DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:55 PM
She watched the news coverage of the little boy taken hostage from the school bus. I'm wondering if that stuck with her.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Huh. Has she seen or heard anything like that lately? I would talk to her pediatrician. She might have anxiety issues.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM
That makes me feel better. My older son has never done anything like that, so I wasn't sure it was normal.

Quoting slw123:

My daughter used to do the same thing when she was that age.  They are just so attached to us at that age and they are learning about death and it's scary to think about.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kappalopokis
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM
When I was 11 my mom was going on a trip. Before she left home I started bawling and screaming asking her not to go. I remember knowing something bad was going to happen. And telling my parents. She assured me nothing would happen to her and left before I could tell her and my Dad that I thought it was going to happen at home. And that I wasn't worried about Momma.

Later that same day my Dad died.

I will always listen to my children's intuition. Not saying I will always react to it, but I will always hear them out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured