Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

In the restaurant, those were my kids...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 524 Replies
97 moms liked this

Yup, that was me, my sis and her guy, and all of those little ones were my kids in that restaurant today. Yup, that was my daughter making the mess with her food because she grabs too much and shoves it into her face instead of mouth. Yup, that was my almost two year old giving the soccer whistle screech at the top of his lungs because he can't communicate. Yup, that was my second child yelling at the top of his lungs while having a conversation. Yup, that was my oldest making all of those weird movie effect sounds and tapping on the table. I know it bothered you.

I know you saw me trying to handle the situation. Trying to feed my baby; taking my almost two year old into the bathroom for punishment; signing to my three year old to use signs instead of trying to talk in a place he cannot hear language due to crowd; and trying to get my oldest to stim by rubbing the table instead of tapping it.

It's tradition for us to eat out the first week of February when we first get our returns back. It's the only time I do it because of my kids.

I thank the waitress deeply for putting up with us (yes, we tipped her very well). I thank the other patrons for not coming up to me this time (I have been approached before). I did like the "knowing smile" that the one man gave my sister's boyfriend when he downed his beer and got another one. I really appreciate the nice lady who said "hi" to my oldest while we were leaving and giving him a brilliant smile.

I know we were loud. I know it looked like I had no control over them, but believe me when I say that it could have been worse.

Now I'm going to go and take a bath before one of them starts the nightly wake-up routine they all still have. I am just very thankful that this time no one came over to tell me to control my children. I am very thankful that only a few people looked over with annoyance. I can see you, even while trying to handle them all.

But, again, thank you for not coming up to me to attack my parenting.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
livn4hevn
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:08 PM
8 moms liked this

It takes practice... and it takes time. The more often they go out, the better they will be. Good job for sticking to your guns, and teaching them with whatever opportunities you can offer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Why do all your kids have something wrong with them? No offense ..
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:19 PM
66 moms liked this
I will keep you in my prayers because you are handling way more than I ever could. <3

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM
17 moms liked this

dear god woman, you must have the patience of a god!

Good on you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Thank you. Honestly, I don't know if I'm handling it half of the time. But, the thought it appreciated.

Quoting Anonymous:

I will keep you in my prayers because you are handling way more than I ever could. <3

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
12 moms liked this

Did you ever think that if you took them out more, they would learn these skills better and each trip wouldn't have to be this bad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I scream into my pillows very often.

Quoting flowersbane:

dear god woman, you must have the patience of a god!

Good on you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Goodness. Honestly I wouldn't even bother going out if I were you. Not because of what other people may think, but because I couldn't and wouldn't want to deal with all of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Please don't take offense to this, I mean it in the best of ways, but do you know many people in the deaf community?  Calling it a hearing disability is not a good thing.  I myself am profoundly deaf and I know many who would jump down your throat far enough to tickle your ovaries for using that term.  Not me, I think some are overly senstive about using "pc" terms for things.  But was just curious if you were aware how offensive some in the deaf community can find the term hearing "disability."

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)