Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In the restaurant, those were my kids...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yup, that was me, my sis and her guy, and all of those little ones were my kids in that restaurant today. Yup, that was my daughter making the mess with her food because she grabs too much and shoves it into her face instead of mouth. Yup, that was my almost two year old giving the soccer whistle screech at the top of his lungs because he can't communicate. Yup, that was my second child yelling at the top of his lungs while having a conversation. Yup, that was my oldest making all of those weird movie effect sounds and tapping on the table. I know it bothered you.

I know you saw me trying to handle the situation. Trying to feed my baby; taking my almost two year old into the bathroom for punishment; signing to my three year old to use signs instead of trying to talk in a place he cannot hear language due to crowd; and trying to get my oldest to stim by rubbing the table instead of tapping it.

It's tradition for us to eat out the first week of February when we first get our returns back. It's the only time I do it because of my kids.

I thank the waitress deeply for putting up with us (yes, we tipped her very well). I thank the other patrons for not coming up to me this time (I have been approached before). I did like the "knowing smile" that the one man gave my sister's boyfriend when he downed his beer and got another one. I really appreciate the nice lady who said "hi" to my oldest while we were leaving and giving him a brilliant smile.

I know we were loud. I know it looked like I had no control over them, but believe me when I say that it could have been worse.

Now I'm going to go and take a bath before one of them starts the nightly wake-up routine they all still have. I am just very thankful that this time no one came over to tell me to control my children. I am very thankful that only a few people looked over with annoyance. I can see you, even while trying to handle them all.

But, again, thank you for not coming up to me to attack my parenting.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
flowersbane
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

ah, yup.  Me too lmao

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. I scream into my pillows very often.

Quoting flowersbane:

dear god woman, you must have the patience of a god!

Good on you!

britmichele
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't worry mama, I didn't judge ya;-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:26 PM
My old boss describe parents of many kids very well. You're either a drill sergeant and they kids are well behaved or the parenting and kids are complete chaos. You're obviously the former
jewmaw13
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM
well i mean kids will be kids ya kno? it happens...i wouldnt worry too much about it momma it sounds like ur doing a great job!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lizardannie1966
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:29 PM
2 moms liked this

You were staying on top of the situation and not ignoring anything.

I see a lot of parents out there at restaurants and other places who do not do anything.

I applaud you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:34 PM
It takes me 20 minutes to get them in winter wear, into their carseats and strapped in. Without help, it takes me ten minutes to unstrap them and have them coordinated enough to walk safely through a parking lot. My sister and her boyfriend are needed when I try to contain them in seats in a semi crowded area. We are very good at shopping, but I am not rich enough to eat out often enough to accomplish the same in this setting.

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you ever think that if you took them out more, they would learn these skills better and each trip wouldn't have to be this bad?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
He isn't deaf. He has a nuerological condition that affects how his brain processes sounds. I am sorry. I don't want to offend any one. We had to have him labeled as hearing disabled to get help, because he didn't qualify for Deaf services and no one in the nuerological field knew what to do. To get him to learn signs and have help it was a fight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Please don't take offense to this, I mean it in the best of ways, but do you know many people in the deaf community?  Calling it a hearing disability is not a good thing.  I myself am profoundly deaf and I know many who would jump down your throat far enough to tickle your ovaries for using that term.  Not me, I think some are overly senstive about using "pc" terms for things.  But was just curious if you were aware how offensive some in the deaf community can find the term hearing "disability."

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do all your kids have something wrong with them? No offense ..

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Is that bad or good?

Quoting Anonymous:

My old boss describe parents of many kids very well. You're either a drill sergeant and they kids are well behaved or the parenting and kids are complete chaos. You're obviously the former
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Like I said, Im not offended.  There are zealots and snobs in all groups of people.  Just wasn't sure if you were aware.

I can imagine it must have been hard for you to get services.  Why didnt he qualify if you dont mind me asking? (just ignore if Im being nosy!)

Can he speak ASL now?  Just curious, my son speaks fluent asl, but that's at home, especially now that he's older, I sign almost eclusively

Quoting Anonymous:

He isn't deaf. He has a nuerological condition that affects how his brain processes sounds. I am sorry. I don't want to offend any one. We had to have him labeled as hearing disabled to get help, because he didn't qualify for Deaf services and no one in the nuerological field knew what to do. To get him to learn signs and have help it was a fight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Please don't take offense to this, I mean it in the best of ways, but do you know many people in the deaf community?  Calling it a hearing disability is not a good thing.  I myself am profoundly deaf and I know many who would jump down your throat far enough to tickle your ovaries for using that term.  Not me, I think some are overly senstive about using "pc" terms for things.  But was just curious if you were aware how offensive some in the deaf community can find the term hearing "disability."

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do all your kids have something wrong with them? No offense ..

Saille717
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:45 PM
12 moms liked this

More and more people are becoming aware that not all children behave like angels in public, and that not all children even can.  I'm glad that you were able to have a nice dinner and not be approached by somebody with negative things to say.  Chin up, momma -- you're doing good! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured