Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

In the restaurant, those were my kids...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Yup, that was me, my sis and her guy, and all of those little ones were my kids in that restaurant today. Yup, that was my daughter making the mess with her food because she grabs too much and shoves it into her face instead of mouth. Yup, that was my almost two year old giving the soccer whistle screech at the top of his lungs because he can't communicate. Yup, that was my second child yelling at the top of his lungs while having a conversation. Yup, that was my oldest making all of those weird movie effect sounds and tapping on the table. I know it bothered you.

I know you saw me trying to handle the situation. Trying to feed my baby; taking my almost two year old into the bathroom for punishment; signing to my three year old to use signs instead of trying to talk in a place he cannot hear language due to crowd; and trying to get my oldest to stim by rubbing the table instead of tapping it.

It's tradition for us to eat out the first week of February when we first get our returns back. It's the only time I do it because of my kids.

I thank the waitress deeply for putting up with us (yes, we tipped her very well). I thank the other patrons for not coming up to me this time (I have been approached before). I did like the "knowing smile" that the one man gave my sister's boyfriend when he downed his beer and got another one. I really appreciate the nice lady who said "hi" to my oldest while we were leaving and giving him a brilliant smile.

I know we were loud. I know it looked like I had no control over them, but believe me when I say that it could have been worse.

Now I'm going to go and take a bath before one of them starts the nightly wake-up routine they all still have. I am just very thankful that this time no one came over to tell me to control my children. I am very thankful that only a few people looked over with annoyance. I can see you, even while trying to handle them all.

But, again, thank you for not coming up to me to attack my parenting.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (141-150):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Things will get better.  I can remember being thrown out of a restaurant with our son.  He was 4.  We were having a family dinner with my parents.  Our son was not really bad.  We were waiting for our food.  The waitress brings out food us adults ordered. Starting with the salads. Doesn't bring some food out to keep our son happy.  Brought our sons meal last.   He griped a bit where is his food.  Nothing bad.  Next thing you know. The waitress rushes us through our meal.  I said well we would like dessert.  She said said the manager wants us to leave.  Yet at another table some families 2 kids were horsing around the table not sitting in their seats.  No one talked to them.  All our son did was bring it to attention. How come he wasn't getting his food. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Why would you keep having children if you know that they have some type of disability. I don't feel sorry for you, you probably should have started to use birth control after number 1 or 2. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do all your kids have something wrong with them? No offense ..

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:48 AM
Where's their father? Sounds like you have your hands full. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I think your son must have showed his ass pretty badly to get you thrown out....

Quoting Anonymous:

Things will get better.  I can remember being thrown out of a restaurant with our son.  He was 4.  We were having a family dinner with my parents.  Our son was not really bad.  We were waiting for our food.  The waitress brings out food us adults ordered. Starting with the salads. Doesn't bring some food out to keep our son happy.  Brought our sons meal last.   He griped a bit where is his food.  Nothing bad.  Next thing you know. The waitress rushes us through our meal.  I said well we would like dessert.  She said said the manager wants us to leave.  Yet at another table some families 2 kids were horsing around the table not sitting in their seats.  No one talked to them.  All our son did was bring it to attention. How come he wasn't getting his food. 

MrsErdos2011
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I giggled a little at his rebellion. I think it's a toddler thing rather than a hearing thing. My 1 1/2 year old does the same thing and he has no problems with hearing. Maybe it's a boy thing. Who knows.

Quoting Anonymous:

It was explained to us at the time that he didn't qualify because he can hear in the sense that his ear drums work and the cochlear works. After that is when his brain doesn't work. He needed a nuerologist and so the audiologist dropped him. The nuerologist didn't know what to do really because he needed the services and help as if he is deaf. He put the label so that we could get help. He was taught to talk and learned signs. He is better than me but we both struggle with grammar structure. I also keep mixing up the signs for "now" and "stay". He gives me such a pittiful look when I don't sign correctly. His newest thing is to not look at us and try to listen and understand speech. I get so angry because he then doesn't do as told since he didn't understand what was said.

Quoting Anonymous:

Like I said, Im not offended.  There are zealots and snobs in all groups of people.  Just wasn't sure if you were aware.

I can imagine it must have been hard for you to get services.  Why didnt he qualify if you dont mind me asking? (just ignore if Im being nosy!)

Can he speak ASL now?  Just curious, my son speaks fluent asl, but that's at home, especially now that he's older, I sign almost eclusively

Quoting Anonymous:

He isn't deaf. He has a nuerological condition that affects how his brain processes sounds. I am sorry. I don't want to offend any one. We had to have him labeled as hearing disabled to get help, because he didn't qualify for Deaf services and no one in the nuerological field knew what to do. To get him to learn signs and have help it was a fight.

Quoting Anonymous:

Please don't take offense to this, I mean it in the best of ways, but do you know many people in the deaf community?  Calling it a hearing disability is not a good thing.  I myself am profoundly deaf and I know many who would jump down your throat far enough to tickle your ovaries for using that term.  Not me, I think some are overly senstive about using "pc" terms for things.  But was just curious if you were aware how offensive some in the deaf community can find the term hearing "disability."

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know why they all do, honestly. I didn't ask for them to have something wrong with them. My oldest has ASD and ADHD; my second child has a hearing disability and a heart defect; my third child is being looked at for ODD; and my fourth has delays and a heart defect (which is a different defect than my third child's). Honestly, not a single one is the same.

Quoting Anonymous:

I may not be a perfect wife or mother but I am perfect in the eyes of my son and my husband and that is all that matters.

Mazie0723
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I have 6 and sometimes dinners don't goes as planned. I never judge a parent that is having a hard time with their kids. We have bad days too. Hugs!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 AM
1 mom liked this
She acts as if she deserves a medal...
Kids don't bother me in public. That's why its called public.
But seriously....stop having kids if ya can't take care of them

Quoting Anonymous:

Why would you keep having children if you know that they have some type of disability. I don't feel sorry for you, you probably should have started to use birth control after number 1 or 2. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

BambiF
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

As long as I'm at a family restaurant, I don't give a damn.  Now if I'm in a nice restaurant on a date with my husband and some moron couldn't leave precious little Sophia with a babysitter for 2 hours...then I get pissed lol.

Sounds like you are trying your best. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM
3 moms liked this

If my children ever behaved that way I would remove them from the restaurant and take them out to the car, or home until they learned how to behave.  After a couple times they behaved because they wanted to stay inside the restaurant.  I never would have put other patrons through a disaster like you describe.  If patrons have come up to you before in restaurants, your technique of solving this issue is not working and you need a more effective solution.

I hate mothers who don't want to disturb their own meal by removing their children when they are disruptive.  It's really a modern phenomena that started in the 90's too.  Before that you would see parents bunddling their unruly children out to the car. 

pinkcoffeecup
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM

No. He cried a little that he was hungry. But for the most part was real behaved.  He sat in his seat very nicely. Me working in food service for many years.  Common sense.  When a family comes with kids. You bring them something to snack on till the meal come or bring them something to keep them occupied while they wait for their food to be cooked. Many restaurants give out crayons and something to color on. This was many years ago.  He's now 23.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think your son must have showed his ass pretty badly to get you thrown out....

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)