Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What makes someone a "nerd"?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

So I've been around a LOT of chicks in my life who call themselves "nerds". MOST of them, don't really fit what I think of when I think of a nerd.

What's your definition of a nerd? Do you have any nerd in you?

I think I'm a theatre geek at heart- I have a passion for performing arts- musicals, opera, broadway, plays, orchestra/symphony concerts... anything like that. I don't really consider myself a "nerd" tho.

I've met my share of "nerds"... gamers mostly. D&D, Magic: The Gathering, WoW, WarHammer, CoD:MW2 marathons, read every star wars book in the universe, know everything there is to know about anime, fantasy, sci-fi... and all things Zelda, LOTR, and Final Fantasy. The kind that name their kids after characters from Full Metal Jacket.

I know alot ABOUT that stuff, but I don't really enjoy it. I mostly learned from my husband and his friends. lol.

I have two friends who watch Dr. Who and consider themselves "nerds". They wanna go to Comicon... they think they'll fit in. I think they'll be scared....lol.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Hubs calls me a nerd because I study history (pre-history to around mid 20th century), theology, comparative mythology, analyze contemporary music and identify which musician influenced which band (I'm a veritable rolodex of rock musicians from the thirties to the nineties), weave, studied herbal medicine and have several notebooks filled with remedies and dosage per bodyweight, am a philologist, study architecture, and can read and write a smattering of heiroglyphs, ancient greek, phoenician, sumerian and created a dictionary of indo-european words written by hand in several notebooks. Plus, I play most MMORPGs, tabletop RPGs,  programmed my own websites back in the days before Myspace, love old Star Trek (and know each episode front and back, so much that I recite lines from them as joking comments) and used to work in the library.

I don't think I am a nerd at all. I'm just curious.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I call that well-rounded... and impressive!

You look into things that most people don't, which is respectable. :)

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Hubs calls me a nerd because I study history (pre-history to around mid 20th century), theology, comparative mythology, analyze contemporary music and identify which musician influenced which band (I'm a veritable rolodex of rock musicians from the thirties to the nineties), weave, studied herbal medicine and have several notebooks filled with remedies and dosage per bodyweight, am a philologist, study architecture, and can read and write a smattering of heiroglyphs, ancient greek, phoenician, sumerian and created a dictionary of indo-european words written by hand in several notebooks. Plus, I play most MMORPGs, tabletop RPGs,  programmed my own websites back in the days before Myspace, love old Star Trek (and know each episode front and back, so much that I recite lines from them as joking comments) and used to work in the library.

I don't think I am a nerd at all. I'm just curious.

stickyfingers
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:12 AM
i think if you play anything where you are larping or have collectable cards and fight them...you are a nerd!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HerLadyGrey
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:13 AM

The Cons do provide a level of nerdiness and geek that is overwhelming... BEST WEEKEND EVER!

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:17 AM

I've always thought of "nerds" as people who are very studious, educated, well-read..ect...

I've found that other people's definition of a "nerd" tends to have something to do with gamers/comicon.. To me... that's not something that I consider "nerdy".  I just view gaming as a hobby, like any other hobby..

MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:48 AM

-watches star trek

-watches big bang theory

-records Jeopardy

-can say "and one time at band camp"

-had all honors courses

I guess I am a nerd!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN