Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How many times have you filed Bankruptcy?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

zero here

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
wkukid
by Ocean Wave on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Never, and I hope to never have to. My credit is excellent.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:45 AM
Me zero. My husband did twice before we were married though.
Mrs.Winchester
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Zero.  Do people really file more than once?!  I mean it takes 10 years just to have the bankruptcy off your record and get credit again...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I don't know what your expertise is but I'd love to get some financial advice regarding credit card debt.  We are thinking of filing bankruptcy this year because we are struggling making minimum payments.  We have about 20k in CC debt but nothing else.

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

Depending on the type of debt, most of the statute of limitations have probably passed.  Student loans don't have one.  But anyway, once you have reached the statute for the type of debt and for your state, you can no longer be sued.  They can try, but it will get thrown out of court.  I don't know your specific situation, but having a bankruptcy on your credit severely limits you for 10 years.  I would hate to think that you would do that to yourself for such a small amount.  Trust me, compared to others, it is a very small amount. 

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm

I know just enough to make me dangerous, but I might be able to give you some basic info. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I've tried to get this debt down for over 15 yrs and I'm not working now.

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

There are better ways than to file for bankruptcy for such a small amount.  For instance, is it all revolving debt, i.e. credit cards?

Quoting Anonymous:

Over 10k

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

Never.  How much debt have you accrued?

HollyBoBolly
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I just minored in Finance.  I'm by no means an expert, but I know a fair bit about the credit cards laws and might be able to assist you.  If you want to message me and tell me your situation, I'll see if I can help.  I'm about to go to bed, but I'll check it tomorrow. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know what your expertise is but I'd love to get some financial advice regarding credit card debt.  We are thinking of filing bankruptcy this year because we are struggling making minimum payments.  We have about 20k in CC debt but nothing else.

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

Depending on the type of debt, most of the statute of limitations have probably passed.  Student loans don't have one.  But anyway, once you have reached the statute for the type of debt and for your state, you can no longer be sued.  They can try, but it will get thrown out of court.  I don't know your specific situation, but having a bankruptcy on your credit severely limits you for 10 years.  I would hate to think that you would do that to yourself for such a small amount.  Trust me, compared to others, it is a very small amount. 

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.shtm

I know just enough to make me dangerous, but I might be able to give you some basic info. 

Quoting Anonymous:

No, I've tried to get this debt down for over 15 yrs and I'm not working now.

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

There are better ways than to file for bankruptcy for such a small amount.  For instance, is it all revolving debt, i.e. credit cards?

Quoting Anonymous:

Over 10k

Quoting HollyBoBolly:

Never.  How much debt have you accrued?

marilyn623
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM
None. Thought about it. But we pulled it off without having to luckily
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
heartslove09
by Bronze Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM

None! and I dont plan on it,we just made a plan to pay off debt and make sacrifices.

myloves.050709
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:02 AM

zero

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I filed for the first time this August. It was mostly medical bills and college tuition that I had put on my credit cards from when I was 18. I am 25 btw. It was easy. I paid $1,500 to an attorney to do the paperwork and I went to a hearing and that was that. No regrets. I can still open a checking account and rent a house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:09 AM
None. Have some friends who have done it twice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)