Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Shock therapy!

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM
  • 10 Replies
Its 2:30am. I have to be up for work at 4 and can't sleep. Tomorrow right after work I'm going to meet my new psychiatrist. I've posted a bit about myself before but I don't think most ppl know me here - I'm 25 and I was diagnosed with bipolar and borderline personality about 10 yrs ago. Roughly 15 mood syabalizers, antidepressants, anti psychotics, anxiety meds later...we've still not found the correct medicine or cocktail of meds for me. I was hospitalized for a week back in 2011 for a break down, in 2009 I was hospitalized for a suicide attempt, as well as in 2005 (I was in hs that time) Because of the borderline I've struggled with anorexia (for the control) since 13 off and on. I've been to a range of counselors, therapists, psychologists, and religious counselors. The last meds I was put on was Lithium. Nothing works.

Tomorrow I'm meeting my psych to discuss the possibility of ECT (electroconvulsive therapy, or shock therapy as it were) or/and TMS (transcranial magnetic stimulation) treatments. Both are low risk and more safe to do while pregnant than messing with meds. I'm just done with this fight. I've felt awful for too long, and I'm done. I need out somehow. I need unstuck. I'm excited to explore the possibilities of these treatments but i'm terrified.

This isn't just the end of MY rope. Its not just scraping the bottom of the barrel of possible treatments on my end - but the doctors sides too. What happens if it doesn't work? Where do I go from there? Uhg...just need to vent. Sorry gals!
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xtina8817
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 2:53 AM

BUMP!

xtina8817
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:44 AM

BUMP!

afwifeandmommy3
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Goodluck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Not tryin to be a bitch, but why on earth would you get pregnant if you have all these issues? You sound like you can barely take care of yourself?

I really hope it works out for you though, and that you find something that helps you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:51 AM

I don't suggest the shock therapy. That's usually for people who've rotted their brains with illegal drugs and can't get right. My story is similar to your and I couldn't believe ECT was still practiced in this day and age until I saw the effects of it for myself.

I'm 24 years old. In 2010 I was hospitalized twice at a mental hospital and diagnosed with major depressive disorder with psychotic features and borderline personality disorder. I stayed on Geodon and Celexa for a year then weaned myself off. A year after that I finally found that over the phone weekly therapy was my ticket to success. My therapist would call me for 30 minute sessions. I feel so much better about myself with no meds and having to drag myself to an office every week.,

My insomnia during my depression was so bad I couldn't sleep until 6am for a year and a half then I'd wake up at 3pm. It was so strange, but turns out I have an endocrine disorder that was messing up my insulin levels.

Good luck to you in your endevor to get maintain your mental health.

xtina8817
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:00 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

Not tryin to be a bitch, but why on earth would you get pregnant if you have all these issues? You sound like you can barely take care of yourself?

I really hope it works out for you though, and that you find something that helps you.

This one was a "oopsie". Not me being dumb, but for 4 yrs I was told I was infertile...well. they were wrong! Lol - I have a 5yr old DD as well. She's my world. I can take care of this child if I can get the help I'm looking for. Family wise I have a great support system.
xtina8817
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I don't suggest the shock therapy. That's usually for people who've rotted their brains with illegal drugs and can't get right. My story is similar to your and I couldn't believe ECT was still practiced in this day and age until I saw the effects of it for myself.

I'm 24 years old. In 2010 I was hospitalized twice at a mental hospital and diagnosed with major depressive disorder with psychotic features and borderline personality disorder. I stayed on Geodon and Celexa for a year then weaned myself off. A year after that I finally found that over the phone weekly therapy was my ticket to success. My therapist would call me for 30 minute sessions. I feel so much better about myself with no meds and having to drag myself to an office every week.,

My insomnia during my depression was so bad I couldn't sleep until 6am for a year and a half then I'd wake up at 3pm. It was so strange, but turns out I have an endocrine disorder that was messing up my insulin levels.

Therapy has definitely helped in the past. Due to no health insurance until last month, I wasn't able to seek anyone down here until recently. Like I said, we'll just be discussing the treatments for now. I've done an insane amount of research on it - looked at different hospitals, patient diaries. Carrie Fisher had years of ECT she said helped her. Its all in making sure the doctors you have are doing it properly. There's a terrible stigma latched onto it from the 70s and before. I definitely wouldn't continue to look into it if I believed it was unsafe. Also, bipolar is the mental illness they've had the most success in treating with ECT
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:07 AM
That's good. I really didn't mean that how it probably came across. I'm BPD and bipolar, and with all the meds I used to be on, I took not getting pregnant very seriously just because of the risks. I'm really glad you can care for your kids. It's hard sometimes, but it's great you have a support system - I didn't have that.

Quoting xtina8817:

Quoting Anonymous:

This one was a "oopsie". Not me being dumb, but for 4 yrs I was told I was infertile...well. they were wrong! Lol - I have a 5yr old DD as well. She's my world. I can take care of this child if I can get the help I'm looking for. Family wise I have a great support system.
xtina8817
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:10 AM
Quoting Anonymous:

I didn't take full advantage of mine until recently. My relationships were shit and that's a HUGE change now. My SO reads up on my disorders and he can tell when I'm on a high or low ..its helped a ton. He's motivated me, along with my daughter, to effectively seek help instead of just taking whatever Dr. Threw at me. Ya know?? So you're doing well then? May I ask how old you are??
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM

Oh I see. I'm uninsured and the hassle of seeing the therapist was just awful. In my city they were trying out a new free service where the therapist calls you instead of you going to see them and my social worker at the time asked if I was interested; I said yes. Best thing ever.

Consider all your options and just know you're not alone.

In the mental hospital I also noticed ECT was used mostly on older folks (40+). I hope things work out for you in whatever you choose.

Quoting xtina8817:

Quoting Anonymous:

Therapy has definitely helped in the past. Due to no health insurance until last month, I wasn't able to seek anyone down here until recently. Like I said, we'll just be discussing the treatments for now. I've done an insane amount of research on it - looked at different hospitals, patient diaries. Carrie Fisher had years of ECT she said helped her. Its all in making sure the doctors you have are doing it properly. There's a terrible stigma latched onto it from the 70s and before. I definitely wouldn't continue to look into it if I believed it was unsafe. Also, bipolar is the mental illness they've had the most success in treating with ECT

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)