Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Could You/Would You "Unplug" On Weekends

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Seven years ago my DH and I decided that weekends would be "unplugged".  No TV, no computer time, no video games, no cell phones.  So far we have maintained that along with being "unplugged" for all our family vacations.

We do make acceptions for homework and we carry cell phones when we travel.  We also don't have a problem with the kids "plugging in" when they go to other peoples houses for sleepovers.  But when kids come to our house on the weekends, no electronics.

It's worked really well for our family but I am curious if other people do it or would try it?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
marinenonstop
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately with our careers, we really can't do that. However we do limit being, "plugged" in when we have days where we are all together. Such as ds can only play educational games on his leap pad for an hour while we are cooking and cleaning. Then we will go out and do family things.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JoKazmierski
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM
I would love to do that! Even if just for one day a weekend. However I don't think SO would go for it :/
Byrd15
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed... Maybe turning off our laptops and phones but that's it.

Quoting Sassy762:

Hierophant85
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Df and I both play. He'd never agree to unplug for a day, never mind a whole weekend.

Quoting armywife009:

No. I raid on WoW on the weekends. We still go out and do things as a family, but we won't be "unplugging" anytime soon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Yeah, I was the one that was hard to convince initially.  DH works in IT and is one his computer and phone all week so didn't want to even see a computer on the weekends.  I have actually never seen him sit down and watch an entire TV show.  Me, on the other hand... 

Quoting JoKazmierski:

I would love to do that! Even if just for one day a weekend. However I don't think SO would go for it :/

JoKazmierski
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:23 AM
I am the opposite! The TV is off from when I get home until SO gets home from work, then he turns it on and we watch shows. Except weekends, I watch it too. I think the Internet would be more difficult to give up then the TV though!

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah, I was the one that was hard to convince initially.  DH works in IT and is one his computer and phone all week so didn't want to even see a computer on the weekends.  I have actually never seen him sit down and watch an entire TV show.  Me, on the other hand... 

Quoting JoKazmierski:

armywife009
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM

I can't get dh to get into warcraft :( He's CoD and Dead Space kind of guy.

Quoting Hierophant85:

Df and I both play. He'd never agree to unplug for a day, never mind a whole weekend.

Quoting armywife009:

No. I raid on WoW on the weekends. We still go out and do things as a family, but we won't be "unplugging" anytime soon.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:24 AM
I dont think i could do. i have a prepaid cell phone and only put an unlimited texting plan on it so thats how i communicate with everyone. my minutes ran out on thursday and i had to deal without having a phone for one day and i hated not being able to communicate with anyone other than my kids because there are only so many conversations you can have with a five and two year old
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Good luck!

Quoting Anonymous:

Challenge accepted. . I may start trying that on sundays

_cloudy_
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:43 AM

There is no world beyond our elctronics.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)