Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Could You/Would You "Unplug" On Weekends

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Seven years ago my DH and I decided that weekends would be "unplugged".  No TV, no computer time, no video games, no cell phones.  So far we have maintained that along with being "unplugged" for all our family vacations.

We do make acceptions for homework and we carry cell phones when we travel.  We also don't have a problem with the kids "plugging in" when they go to other peoples houses for sleepovers.  But when kids come to our house on the weekends, no electronics.

It's worked really well for our family but I am curious if other people do it or would try it?

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Replies (21-30):
happykitty316
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:05 AM

I could do it, but I won't.  Cell phones are needed for work, and I enjoy my laptop and my television.  My kids are good about not spending excessive amounts of time with their electronics, so I don't see any reason to take them away.

AnastasiaKorsh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:12 AM

We have no problem "unplugging" on sundays.

Any other day, I usually leave my phone at home if I go anywhere, anyway. Plus, I've gotten into some pretty awesome books lately, so I'm enjoying reading.

frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:13 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope don't want to try it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Nope, that would make my alone time at night when every one goes to bed way to quiet
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ArianEponae
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:23 AM
We're not a very plugged in family. Our tv can go days without being turned on, same with the computer. The only thing that doesn't get turned off is my phone...and that's never going to happen! My day is run by that thing... No, seriously, I have alarms to remind me to cook, clean, call people...you name it. My mind lacks the ability to distinguish time, so without my phone I'd be lost
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tinaleigh
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:55 AM
No but only because DH has to be reachable 24/7 with the work he does.
xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Right now? No. I visit my parents' house on the weekends. They adore ds and play with him while I rest and watch tv lol

We don't have cable at home
Mamasgirl524
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:59 AM
Yup!

Quoting Sassy762:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM

My DS is like that too, he has no concept of time.  Our house is full of clocks and post-its!  

Quoting ArianEponae:

We're not a very plugged in family. Our tv can go days without being turned on, same with the computer. The only thing that doesn't get turned off is my phone...and that's never going to happen! My day is run by that thing... No, seriously, I have alarms to remind me to cook, clean, call people...you name it. My mind lacks the ability to distinguish time, so without my phone I'd be lost

davnrori
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

It wouldn't work for us. I go to school 100% online and DH has to be available to be contacted by his work at all times. We do no t.v. days on the weekend though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)