Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The things I didn't know about PA recipients...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 128 Replies

What are some things that surprised you when you found out about people who receive PA - good or bad?

I remember years ago (I was naive) when I found out that some people on PA do actually have jobs.
I was shocked to find out that PA doesn't cover dentist visits, at all, unless it's an emergency.

I'm sure there are more, I'll add them later.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
PA does cover dental, if you can find a dentist that accepts it, which is a hell of a lot more difficult than it should be.

I'm surprised by the people that are on it. Growing up I always assumed that everyone on it was "obviously poor" like homeless, ratty clothes poor. Not the case at all. I've encountered more people in the last year who I've heard bitch about PA who are actually on it. I'm amazed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:10 AM

A few years ago I needed PA and pretty much everything was a surprise. 1 dentist in my entire state accepted my card and he doesn't use any numbing agents. So when my wisdom teeth grew in I had to decide whether or not I wanted them pulled without any gas or novocaine. I decided to keep my painful teeth. 

I learned that my family of 4 only recieved $200 a month for groceries, I had always heard that people on PA recieve it so that they can live "richly" off of it. That 200 bucks fed us for 2 weeks, the other 2 we were on our own. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:19 AM

I used to think that it was like unemployment; you get a certain amount of time to be on it then they cut you off (except for those with lifetime disabilities). I know a family who has been on it for over 4 years.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Not where I live. They used to, but they sent out letters last month saying that they no longer cover anything except emergencies.

Quoting Anonymous:

PA does cover dental, if you can find a dentist that accepts it, which is a hell of a lot more difficult than it should be.

I'm surprised by the people that are on it. Growing up I always assumed that everyone on it was "obviously poor" like homeless, ratty clothes poor. Not the case at all. I've encountered more people in the last year who I've heard bitch about PA who are actually on it. I'm amazed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Yep. I know this girl who is on it and has been for like 6+ years. She has no intention of getting off either, she gets almost $800/month in food stamps and the medical card. Her husband isn't working (lazy ass), and she does side jobs designing websites (all cash). People like that make everyone look bad.

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to think that it was like unemployment; you get a certain amount of time to be on it then they cut you off (except for those with lifetime disabilities). I know a family who has been on it for over 4 years.

mariesmama
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

wish it covered dental i have several painful broken teeth

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
The only pa we get is state insurance and they cover all dental 100%. It used to be hard to find dentists but for some reason now there are a ton! They even cover braces for anyone under 18.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Yep, I have a broken tooth (luckily not super painful - yet) and 2 really bad cavities. I have poor enamel and without the annual cleaning and checkups I don't know how it will go. I don't understand why they choose treatments AFTER damage is done, rather than just preventative visits.

Quoting mariesmama:

wish it covered dental i have several painful broken teeth

EvilAsh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:34 AM
2 moms liked this

I have been on PA... I've gone to the office and I can't say it surprises me, but pisses me off, that these bitches can't afford food for their kids, but are in there playing with the iPhones and toting around designer purses and bathe in perfume. It's fucking sick.

Anyway. When I was on it, my husband was working a ton of hours to make ends meet. We just had a fire. We were homeless. No help was available except food stamps. So we took the help where we found it.

krystyneh
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
I can't believe that some states make it easy to get PA. My state (Vermont) it takes FOREVER to get help. I know when I wasn't working (after I injured my back) and my husband got laid off and was looking for a job, it took us 3 months before we got food stamps. The retroed it back the 3 months so we got $1,200 all at once but it sucked because my parents were buying our food so they got behind on their mortgage.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)