Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The things I didn't know about PA recipients...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

What are some things that surprised you when you found out about people who receive PA - good or bad?

I remember years ago (I was naive) when I found out that some people on PA do actually have jobs.
I was shocked to find out that PA doesn't cover dentist visits, at all, unless it's an emergency.

I'm sure there are more, I'll add them later.

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Replies (71-80):
casseopeia
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Check for free dental clinics in your area.  I'm in the SF Bay area and every year they have several free clinics where dentists will fix your teeth for free.  You just have to wait several hours in line, but it's better than letting your teeth get worse!  I'm surprise by how little money PA is and how people get by on just that much.

Quoting mariesmama:

wish it covered dental i have several painful broken teeth

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I was surprised to find out that there are women who consider themselves to be stay at home moms, when they are really on welfare.  Now every time I meet someone in real life who says they are a SAHM, I check them out further to see if they are really just welfare queens pretending to be decent people.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Pa covers dental here.
furbabymum
by Platinum Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM

I was shocked to find people on here bragging about it all the time.

flawskii
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Here in Detroit if you been on it for 4 yrs or more they cut you off.

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to think that it was like unemployment; you get a certain amount of time to be on it then they cut you off (except for those with lifetime disabilities). I know a family who has been on it for over 4 years.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM
I never knew that someone like me who once owned a house outright could one day find herself on food stamps. Shit happens.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Good. If you are able-bodied, you can at least find a job at a McDonald's within 4 years. What a joke.

Quoting flawskii:

Quoting Anonymous:

I used to think that it was like unemployment; you get a certain amount of time to be on it then they cut you off (except for those with lifetime disabilities). I know a family who has been on it for over 4 years.

CutieCrab
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Um...  People on PA actually have to go to job training to receive it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I have a friend with two special needs kids who is on it.  I am amazed at how she can stretch a dollar and do her own auto repairs.  She's pretty awesome.

CutieCrab
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Yep. Here in Cali it is 5 years. I think that is to much. Its all the govenor's doing. There was a potential govenor running who wanted it down to 2 years, but didn't win.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good. If you are able-bodied, you can at least find a job at a McDonald's within 4 years. What a joke.

Quoting flawskii:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN